Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some feed back the the Mxz 550 with the X package......well are they fun.

I have been wanting to get a sled with the Rev chassie after rideing one last year....made my Cat not so much fun any more. I liked the ride style and it seemed to feel right.

So.....

Being fan cooled ,but built for something diffrent, how do they hold up against say the Mxz 500ss(I think that was what I rode,it was water cooled) in terms of power and speed.

What's the normail top speed.....

Is there power at 55 mph to lift the ski's comeing over a hill....How do they jump at 30-50mph.

How do the like loose power,not like feet but say 6 inchs loose on the trail. How do the handel on the groomed trail.

What problems are common the this sled or any Ski-doo.

I have only owned one ski-doo it was a 99 SLE 2-up 500 fan that I made into a singel seater and used to ditch bang. I have had NO problems with the sled,and close to 7000 miles it has never needed more than just the wearable's(hi-fax,carbides,cleaned carbs twice). My only complaint is that it seem's to run out of steam about 70mph and VERY heavy....but I'm sure that's just the 136 inch track and the 500 fan. I just don't want to end up with a under powered sled. I want something that's FUN to ride and play on in a drift or a open field.

So if any owners of one of these would tell me what they think it would be great.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a 06 550x and love it, but I ride in northern wisc. where most trails are tight and winding,I can keep up in any trail conditions on these trails, but on the lake forget it ,they top out in the low 80's. The 500ss trail although much more powerful and with more top speed is no where near as fun to ride, because the shocks suck. If your going to get a 500ss spend the money and get the adrenaline pkg. You'll be glad you did.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 550 X is $5500 OTD for 2007
The 600 adrenaline is $6900 OTD for a 2007
Is the price diffrence worth it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you are coming off a 600cc sled I doubt highly that you would want to go down in performance.

Have you ever ridden a sled that was less powerful than yours? How did it feel. Chances are at some point in that ride it left you wanting for a little more.

As for the $1400.00 question only you can answer that.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If your going to miss the over 80 riding, then cough up the money. But for the trails I usually ride, no one can get away from a 550x. If I want to get my speed thrills, I switch sleds with my buddy on the lake for a few minutes, and then i'm good to go. Truly 0-50 mph the 550x will stay side by side with a 500ss.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I am looking for some feed back the the Mxz 550 with the X package......well are they fun.

I have been wanting to get a sled with the Rev chassie after rideing one last year....made my Cat not so much fun any more. I liked the ride style and it seemed to feel right.

So.....

1.Being fan cooled ,but built for something diffrent, how do they hold up against say the Mxz 500ss(I think that was what I rode,it was water cooled) in terms of power and speed.

2.What's the normail top speed.....

3.Is there power at 55 mph to lift the ski's comeing over a hill....How do they jump at 30-50mph.

4.How do the like loose power,not like feet but say 6 inchs loose on the trail. How do the handel on the groomed trail.

5.What problems are common the this sled or any Ski-doo.

I have only owned one ski-doo it was a 99 SLE 2-up 500 fan that I made into a singel seater and used to ditch bang. I have had NO problems with the sled,and close to 7000 miles it has never needed more than just the wearable's(hi-fax,carbides,cleaned carbs twice). My only complaint is that it seem's to run out of steam about 70mph and VERY heavy....but I'm sure that's just the 136 inch track and the 500 fan. I just don't want to end up with a under powered sled. 6.I want something that's FUN to ride and play on in a drift or a open field.

So if any owners of one of these would tell me what they think it would be great.[/b]
1. 0-55 they are neck and neck. Top speed of 550 is 80-85. 500ss is 95-100. 70 hp vs. 105 hp. In tight trails the 550 can be scooted along quicker.
2. Depends greatly on conditions. On glare ice, 85 mph radar is not unheard of. On snow, it's more like 80 radar.
3. Not enough power to lift the skis at 55, unless the trail has a big enough drop. They do jump quite nice, however.
4. Excellent in loose powder, especially w/ the Ripsaw. They are also good in deeper powder (say a few feet). Exceptional on the groomed trail (and bumpy trail) under 70 mph.
5. No problems with this sled or the 500ss worth mentioning. Maybe carb boots cracking, but don't worry about that (just keep an eye on it).
6. The 550X is a lot of fun. It's very light, jumps well, handles good, etc. If you're looking for more speed, go with the 500ss. Honestly, I would take my 550 over a 500ss in all conditions save lake riding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts