Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if anyone has ridin or owns a 07/08 550 supersport, im condsidering buying one new and just wondering how they are power wise and how they are for small drops and jumps.any other information would be great.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i was just wondering if anyone has ridin or owns a 07/08 550 supersport, im condsidering buying one new and just wondering how they are power wise and how they are for small drops and jumps.any other information would be great.[/b]
i have not ridin one but here is what i can tell you about them. power, they are the best for a fan. the poo 550 fan motor is 65 HP and has good torque. the best fan motor out there. the suspension is pretty good if you set it up right. the SS does not have rebuildable shocks (the real only downside to this sled) and has an edge rear suspension. the prox 550 is a better all around sled but the SS is still good. it can handle jumps and bump pretty well and it more of a stand up play sled then a trail dog. if you buy one michahicks and i can be great helps setting up your suspension and making it a really fun sled.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has Polaris solved the engine problems for '08? I'm looking at buying one for wife.
Also, how does handling compare to an '07 500 XCSP?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
they have never really had a problem with the 550 fan motor. as for buying one for your wife. this a a more stand up sled. it has a prox2 shorty seat and a bar riser. it is a much differetn sled then the 500 xc. the 500xc is much more of an all day trial dog compared to a 14 year old kid play sled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like a pretty good deal then becuase im not going to me doing very much trail riding mostly riding powder or hitting jumps and small drops but what would i have to do with the suspension?

·
Registered
496 Posts
i have not ridin one but here is what i can tell you about them. power, they are the best for a fan. the poo 550 fan motor is 65 HP and has good torque. the best fan motor out there.
Doesnt the MXZ 550F have 75-78 hp and thats a 2006 so Im sure the TNT should out do that one even .

Just checking if you were just talking about poo's or not.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
they have never really had a problem with the 550 fan motor. as for buying one for your wife. this a a more stand up sled. it has a prox2 shorty seat and a bar riser. it is a much differetn sled then the 500 xc. the 500xc is much more of an all day trial dog compared to a 14 year old kid play sled.[/b]
Timespent do not mislead the poor fellow :confused:

http://www.snowmobileworld.com/forum/index...p;hl=supersport

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i have not ridin one but here is what i can tell you about them. power, they are the best for a fan. the poo 550 fan motor is 65 HP and has good torque. the best fan motor out there. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
<div class='quotemain'>

Doesnt the MXZ 550F have 75-78 hp and thats a 2006 so Im sure the TNT should out do that one even .

Just checking if you were just talking about poo's or not.[/b]
the skidoo 550 is 60 HP is goes about 75 to 78 MPH. the TNT is a 600 105 HP motor

sorry i forgot about that. the new one are pretty good motors though. they totally redid them and and got more power, coated the cyliders and a few more thing starting in 06. yep making me feel like an ahole daily. someone has got to keep me in check.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
sounds like a pretty good deal then becuase im not going to me doing very much trail riding mostly riding powder or hitting jumps and small drops but what would i have to do with the suspension?[/b]
you just need to get it dialed in right, they always come from the factory setup for so called everyone can use. well with adjustments you can get it to ride 10 time better, no extra parts to buy just set it up right.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
To set it up, look under the hood for the sticker that tells you about sag, how to set that, and where the adjustments are. Set it for the short end of the range they give you. This'll make it a little stiffer, but allow for ice buildup and so on. Holler if you can't get it into range or if you have questions after checking out that sticker. Take your time with this setting. It's without a doubt, the most important one in the suspension. Everything else is set up afterward. When sag is set, put a couple hundred miles on it and get back with us if there is something you aren't happy with regarding ride and handling. We can likely get that dialed out of it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
they have never really had a problem with the 550 fan motor.[/b]

???????????????????????

The 550 is, in appearance, a nicely constructed motor. So much for theory. The reality is it has been one of the most problem-prone motors Polaris or anyone has built. They "improve" it almost every year in an effort to make it work right. To their credit, they are still trying to get it right and will hopefully succeed before too long. I keep my fingers crossed but would not hold my breath waiting. They do seem to be less failure prone in recent years so maybe.........

·
Registered
5 Posts
i was just wondering if anyone has ridin or owns a 07/08 550 supersport, im condsidering buying one new and just wondering how they are power wise and how they are for small drops and jumps.any other information would be great.[/b]
heh bro i have an 06 rmk and ive installed the upper front shock mounts of a pro-x and dropped the front track hyfax angle,,and i had alot off fun on it,,no way to bottom it out and im 200 lbs, but i wish it had more ump in the middle,,i did some gearing and ended up with more clutch weight and heavier rear spring,,it still get to rpm but i dont operate over 3000 ft here in newfie. I have over 3600 miles on this sled and happy with for what it is, hope it helps,,

·
Registered
5 Posts
heh bro i have an 06 rmk and ive installed the upper front shock mounts of a pro-x and dropped the front track hyfax angle,,and i had alot off fun on it,,no way to bottom it out and im 200 lbs, but i wish it had more ump in the middle,,i did some gearing and ended up with more clutch weight and heavier rear spring,,it still get to rpm but i dont operate over 3000 ft here in newfie. I have over 3600 miles on this sled and happy with for what it is, hope it helps,,[/b]
oh yeah my rmk is a 136 inch and a quarter track with studs,,the super sport should be a little more fun with the shorter track and better rear shock,,,the ski-doo has more balls though,,but the rmk eats them all off the line,,,cat 570 too,,,they catch me in the middle and i leave them again in the top rpm

·
Registered
10 Posts
they have never really had a problem with the 550 fan motor. as for buying one for your wife. this a a more stand up sled. it has a prox2 shorty seat and a bar riser. it is a much differetn sled then the 500 xc. the 500xc is much more of an all day trial dog compared to a 14 year old kid play sled.[/b]

Don't be so sure about this. I had 2 '04 550's. One super sport and one trail sport. They both blew up last year. mine blew up 1st and I decided that since I rode alot and hard I would buy something bigger. One month later my wifes 550 blew with only 900 miles on it. Polaris did have a team tip out for these motors because they came to lean at certain throttle positions from the factory. Even though I had my wifes sled for 3 yrs, I went to state attorney generals office and took it to mediation an won. now I have a new motor at no cost to me.

The newer 550's have the new NiCasil lined cylinders which are suppose to be better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Connors, just wondering if you bought the sled. I bought one for my wife. I hope to pick it up this week. now if only it would snow........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts