Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are 280 ramps a good ramp for a 670 with a 501 rotary valve and thichker base gasket and head cut looking for a decent set up thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
Many use them with good results. I have tried them in a couple of 670's and found them very aggressive. They really go downhill fast which upshifts quicly. Good for drags, not so great for off trail. In my opinion you almost need a reverse angle helix for them.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have tried to the 280's, don,t like the way they work. Stick with the 286 ramps, a 200-290 or 200-320 spring, as much pin wieght as it takes to get your desired rpm, a straight 50 helix or a 50-47. Its all in in the testing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here is the set up I ran in my 97 MXZ 670. 280 ramps, Erlandson yellow (240/320) spring, Black ice 44/40 (black ice numbers) helix, Doo 067 belt. I thought it worked excellent. It is true it did not back shift the best but it pulled so hard on the lake it was worth it. Also, you may be able to add a bit of pin weight. My experience is to NOT gear down this sled. It likes the stock gears pretty well. (I weighed about 185 at the time). The 280 ramps do not seem to work as good in the 99 670HO that I have now!
A couple more pointers: Run the track as loose as possible, shorten up the limiter strap. (If studded properly you should still be able to hook up good with the limiter strap shortened up. The difference between a short and long limiter strap is a good 7 mph on top end! (My experience on ice with a radar gun) That 97 kicked butt! It now belongs to someone else that i ride with and it WILL take my HO in some conditions although I beat him overall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
670 hoth thankks for the advice . i will give it a try how is top end pull with the 280`s? it has the sc-10-2 in it. should you still pull the limiter up on it or will it be to hard to hook up?

·
Registered
356 Posts
new rider, I'm running 280 ramps, i think its a yellow 320 spring, y pipe cut, 501 rotor, short boots 144 studs in my 98 670 FZ...... helix, jetting, gearing, gasget, head, are all stock.

I'm pleased with the 280 ramps, the top end is decent but the sled really preforms best in the mid range with "kick in the pants "... torque when you crack the throttle......

a possible gear change or pin weight adjustment may give it more...... hard to say.......ramps are pretty cheap in the scope of things, you'll have to give them a try.....

DooZ :( :(

·
Registered
107 Posts
The 280's are a drag ramp plain and simple, they shift out like a ton of bricks and dont pull hard on top end at all, try a set of 287's and mag arms this will have great top end pull and and they are a little more laid down compared to the 286's there not as agressive as a 280 on the bottom but the 287's with mag arms will rock also. But if all your looking for is a drag setup 280's are the ticket and use shallow cams in the secondary 50-44 50-40 the 287 setup is a good trail setup.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You also need to watch those yellow 240/320 erlandson springs, theyre junk IMO. Way too long and they take a set and sack out fast. Youre much better off running a 200/350 doo spring and changing pin weight.If you insist on running the erlandson spring change it often. Like was posted the 280 is a great drag ramp but a very lzy trail ramp. I personally feel the px ramp is the ticket in the 670.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts