Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to "start" anything in the forum, but what is everybody thinking on the
performance of the 4-strokes?  Is someone used to an 800 going to find
these even mildly acceptable as far as performance, throttle response and just plain sounding like the big dog?

Given the environmental concerns that many in the snowmobiling community have, does this look like the "future" of our life's passion    

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you are referring to the RX1 I believe the perf. will be in the same catagory as a machz or other triple/triple, even tho it is compared to the twins which it should destroy. Everyone keeps commenting on the weight, but it will be the same or lighter than the triple/triples with much better balance. check the dry weight of a new machz, lets compare apples to apples here

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
4 stroke = half the power, Twice the weight.

The RX-1 is the only thing worth looking at.  I dont want to ride around on a v-twin harley sounding skidoo that performs like a 500.  

If your used to the 800, Stay with the 800 and next year when they put the 800 SDI in the mxz buy that.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well since this is pretty much the first year of 4-strokes.  I would hold off.  Wait a couple of years until they get most of the bugs worked out.  Once they start working on the performance end of things I think there will be a big change.  It wont be long until the 4-strokes are keeping up with the 2 strokes.  Just look at the 4stroke crotch rockets.  You can seriously tell me those are slow.  

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
02MXZ600.  If you had 1000cc 2 stroke 4 cylinder engines in crotch rockets the word performance would take a whole new meaning.

·
Registered
858 Posts
 But that would be hard on the old wallet, somebody would have to feed that beast. If companies would put as much money developping the 2 stroke as car compagnies do for 4 stroke, I'm sure they could come out with something a lot better then sdi. Speaking of 4 strokes in sleds, anyone knows of 2 strokes in cars. A machZ engine would wake up a pontiac firefly I would think  

·
Registered
361 Posts
I believe that the RX1 may be as heavy as a MachZ, but I also believe that the torque band of the RX1 will definitely help it accelerate hard (providing it has traction) and have very good top end with its torque backup (wide torque band). This engine has 3 intake valves and 2 exhaust valves, so it flows alot of air and fuel, especially when the engine spins at 10000+ rpms.
Just my opinion !

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I don't think they will be up to 2 stroke performance as of yet.  In about 5 years down the road though, I think they will have the 4 strokes mastered to a fine point and the 4 strokes will be kickin' @$$.  Just my opinion.

·
Registered
259 Posts
AC,
    I have heard of guys out in california putting outboard motor blocks in old RX-7's. The one that I was reading about had a 2.4 litre merc dropped in it. Granted he had to trailer it to the track but I am sure it moved. Those motors can go beyond 260 horses and they weigh hardly anything.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yeah theres a perfect example.  A gm 6 liter v8 makes 300hp a merc 2.9L v6 makes 300.  Also that same 2.9 makes about 350 in the race version.  I think its 2.9 i might be wrong.

Or yamahas 3.1 making 250 this year.  And these arent even tuned.  They only rev to 6000 or 7000 and for a 2 stroke thats slow.  

I dont know why yamaha is trying to make a 4 stroke sled.  That is like starting from behind.  They were doing a amazing job making a better 2 stroke.  And thats what should be happining.  

My guess is that bombardier/ Rotax is going to keep using 2 strokes.  When this rx1 comes out,  Rotax is going to make a 2 stroke that will kill it.  Just look whats avalible.  Just a pipe and reeds on a mach engine will give it a big kick in the ###.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I also believe SkiDoo will continue to use 2 cycle tech. in the future. Direct fuel injection is the future of 2 cycles, & I believe it is a viable solution. As I also believe Yamaha is going their own direction (as usual) & this sled will be an excellent alternative to meet the emission levels put before us. I said early this winter that I would be very interested in buying a DFI sled from S/D for next year if they (in my opinion) did it right. What I expected from them was 850cc-950cc displacement DFI not SDFI, I hoped it would be a derivitive of the Sea Doo powerplant. I have been a S/D pilot since '94 & have been happy w/the product (still am) but i'm looking forward the arrival of the RX1 in my shop, where my MXZ900 will also continue to reside. I believe there is great potential in this sled, as there is in a Mach Z. I have built several mach's from 170-200HP. JMHO

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
MXZ900.  Just looking at your signiture.  Your really cleaning house to make way for the RX-1.  

·
Registered
756 Posts
I updated just for you mach thanks. I have decided to keep the 900 as it is really a great trail sled, & its only got 2000mi on it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
What do you want for that MXZ 800??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts