Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a 42 tooth sprocket to replace the stock 44 and while comparing the two I noticed one big difference. On the side that goes in first towards the track there is a slight pertusion that is the same height as a stock one but is much smaller in width I guess you could say. I pulled out the shim or spacer and the pertrusion and the spacer are very close to the same size in inside diameter but the spacer has a chamfer on the inside which makes the chamfer a little larger then the inside diameter and almost the same size as the outside diameter of the sprocket. On the stock one the width of the pertrusion is much larger then the spacer allowing it plenty of surface to ride upon. I am scared that some how the spacer could slide onto the sprocket a little changing the alignment of the two sprockets. Has anyone had this issue if so did you leave it or change something. I will try to get pictures to better illistrate what I am asking.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Attached is an exploded view of the chain case, try to describe what you have using the illustration part numbers or sen a photo.

[attachment=40127:98_chaincase.doc]

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[attachment=40134:picture_031a.JPG]
Here is a picture of the spacer alone

[attachment=40133:picture_036a.JPG]
Here is a picture of the spacer and the stock sprocket

[attachment=40132:picture_039a.JPG]
Here is a picture of the 42 tooth sprocket with the spacer

[attachment=40135:picture_029a.JPG]
Here is a picture of the 42 tooth sprocket without the spacer with measurement

[attachment=40136:picture_030a.JPG]
Finally here is a picture of the stock one with measurement

The spacer rides exactly as shown and you can even see the chamfer. I am worried that the new sprocket has to small an area and will become wedged onto the sprocket. Any ideas? Has anyone encountered this? If anyone has a 42 tooth sprocket and it does not appear like this where did you get it from? Thanks a lot guys for all your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way it is part number 12 on that document that is at least what is on top of the sprocket. Thanks hopefully there is something I can do to fix this problem. I am debating on buying a different sprocket from a different manufacter since I really cant see this working without some form of modifications. Well let me know what you guys think on this issue. Anyone else who has changed sprockets did your appear different and if so where did you get them from? Thanks

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I see what you mean, that looks like a powdered metal sprocket too. Is the spacer chamfered on bothe sides?, can you flip it over and place the chamfered side to wards the axle bearing?. Failing that I'd seek another sprocket.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
If it were me, I would put it back together (the bottom half) and see if the new one aligns the same as the old one. In other words, usually the the face of the gear mounts perfectly flush with the end of the shaft. If the new one and the old one are both like that, I would run with it.

I'm not saying that's right, I'm saying that's what I would personally do.

My rationale is, the chain wants to go straight, it's only going to go out of alignment if it's forced to. My vmax bottom gear is free to roam, there is no spacer that keeps it from moving inward toward the drivers. Yet I've put the most miles on it of any of my sleds over the last 2 years, riding very hard and abusing it, and no problems.

On the other hand I took the EXT out one day last spring, I had messed with the driveshaft and forgot to bolt everything tight, the chain broke in about 2 minutes. Problem was the bottom gear was being forced slightly off the driveshaft (away from the drivers) and because it was being forced to misalign, it broke right away.

So for lack of a more informed opinion, that's what I would do. I think it will probably be fine.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
If it were me, I would put it back together (the bottom half) and see if the new one aligns the same as the old one. In other words, usually the the face of the gear mounts perfectly flush with the end of the shaft. If the new one and the old one are both like that, I would run with it.

I'm not saying that's right, I'm saying that's what I would personally do.

My rationale is, the chain wants to go straight, it's only going to go out of alignment if it's forced to. My vmax bottom gear is free to roam, there is no spacer that keeps it from moving inward toward the drivers. Yet I've put the most miles on it of any of my sleds over the last 2 years, riding very hard and abusing it, and no problems.

On the other hand I took the EXT out one day last spring, I had messed with the driveshaft and forgot to bolt everything tight, the chain broke in about 2 minutes. Problem was the bottom gear was being forced slightly off the driveshaft (away from the drivers) and because it was being forced to misalign, it broke right away.

So for lack of a more informed opinion, that's what I would do. I think it will probably be fine.[/b]
worn chain has more side to side movement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I ordered one from a different company should be here Tues hopefully good things will come. As for my ramps from skidoo they said they had my order in went to pick it up and they only had a new washer for the helix. The said the 280 ramps are discontinued. Any ideas where I can pick a set of those up?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Well I ordered one from a different company should be here Tues hopefully good things will come. As for my ramps from skidoo they said they had my order in went to pick it up and they only had a new washer for the helix. The said the 280 ramps are discontinued. Any ideas where I can pick a set of those up?[/b]
Goodwin sells them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just got the sprocket from goodwin and it will work thank God after paying close to double that of dennis kirk. So anyone looking for a 42 tooth sprocket check out goodwin performance. Thanks thumb doctor I know you can get them from goodwin but they are over 40 dollars each. I was looking for some closer to 20 each at most. Skidoo only wanted 15 a piece until they became discontinued. If anyone knows where to get some 280 ramps let me know please if not I will keep on looking. Thanks

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Try the buy sell sections of the sled sites. there's plenty out there. I bought a set of Goodwin GP3s for $15.00 of Ebay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
not sure what sleds they are off but yes, there are stock skidoo 280 ramps.....what price were you looking at cause i found them for 16 a piece....new

ill keep looking let you know if i can find out what sled they are off

(update: looks like the formula 500s and most of the doo 500 use the 281 ramps)

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Well I just got the sprocket from goodwin and it will work thank God after paying close to double that of dennis kirk. So anyone looking for a 42 tooth sprocket check out goodwin performance. Thanks thumb doctor I know you can get them from goodwin but they are over 40 dollars each. I was looking for some closer to 20 each at most. Skidoo only wanted 15 a piece until they became discontinued. If anyone knows where to get some 280 ramps let me know please if not I will keep on looking. Thanks[/b]
Not to pee on your parade but you'll be happier with the Goodwin gear as it's machined steel. The cheapie from DK is powdered metal (kind of like Spam)have a tendency to shatter when you have a loose chain and do some spirited driving on the twisties.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are correct the one from dennis kirk looked cheaper and weighed almost double that of the one from goodwin so maybe I got lucky with the dennis kirk one not working. You definatly arent peeing on my parade you are actually making me feel better that I spent so much more. 16 dollars shipping sucks especially when it is only traveling 45 minutes to my house what a joke, I did however get a 20 dollar off coupon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts