Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to by a jag 440 and I know that they have the fan cooled engine and I was just poundering if my liquid cooled cougar would have more power and is it the same engine as the fan. I know the liquid cooled is better for warmer days but i really like jags.

·
Registered
70 Posts
liquids have better performance

fans have less to maintain (fan belt)

;) ???

·
0 Posts
I had a 90 Jag 440 AFS (one carb) and its top speed was about 75 with a 200 lb. person. I think it was about 50 h.p. I have a 96 JAg Liquid (twin carbs) now and it should be the same engine as your Cougar. The liquid runs past 75 very easy to roughly 85 for top speed with the same rider. One nice thing about the fan cooled sleds is that they are much warmer for the rider over the liquids. My kids were always warm on the old 90 fan cooled. It also comes in handy when you ride in some freezing rain, you can defrost a face shield on the fan exhaust.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
If you have a liquid cooled cougar it is probably a 550cc. A 550cc is definetly faster then a 440cc fan... Fan have more torque and better response too...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope its a 440 liquid cougar. And the year is a 1991 but Im looking for a new jag or z or something. My brother use to have a 1993 jag z 440 and i think it would do about 80-85mph. That is what im looking for kind of because I loved that sled and i really like the looks of the 93-94 models.

·
Registered
959 Posts
well if you can go L/C you will get more hp and better response but i also have a 90 jag afs and love that sled i can still pop up the skis :p :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
The fans are pretty bulletproof, and usually a lot cheaper to buy.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
If you like the look of the Jag and feel of it

Get a 93-94 Cougar 440 LC or the 96 Jag 440LC

They are the same sled as the Jag fans but with LC engines BTW

Another sled would be a 93-94 Jag Z 440 fan(friend had one, it had dual carbs and was a quick little fan,great handling 70+mph

One friend had the 94 Cougar 440LC mountain Cat while his brother had the JagZ both looked Identical :hallo6:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeag I know all about the jag z because my brother had one back in the day. Had 7000 miles on it and the only problem was a foulded plug!! Great on gas to. Do the 96's look the same as the 93's?? Yeah I was think of a 93 cougar of whatever. because I have the cover and short windshield from my brothers jag.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 1998 440z (aircooled), very happy with it. no thunder sled by no means but quite quick for a 440 easy on gas and have had no problems .
here it is.
Kipawa

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Speaking of 440 fans, I have a 02 z440 sno pro. Haven't ridden it yet. Got it at end of last year. What kind of performance can i expect out of it? Also, any ideas on ave gas mileage? Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
362 Posts
Figures, I add to post, scroll down a bit and see a similar topic.

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I think if you are looking for a Z you should at least aim for a 97 when ETT was introduced... I dont think the Z 440 is in any means a slow sled. I used to ride one here and there and it was great. If you are a light guy i would say the Z 440 is a good machine for you... With some jets and a pipe (i think they make one) you could have yourself a little rocket for under $2500.... the fans have many benefits... good gas mileage and reliability seem to rank high on my list..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats a nice looking sled you got there. I was looking through the paper tonight and saw 2 1996 arctic cat 440 Dix's. What the he!! is Dix. I'm going to give the guy a call the guy a call to see what he wants for one.
If anybody has a picture of what a 1996 would look like please post it. And I am just a small person because I'm on 5 foot 6 and weigh 110 pounds, so a little 440 would be prefect though I would like to have a t-cat. :D

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
It is most likely the Jag Deluxe

single carb /electric start 440 same as the 93-96 Jag type body

as in the same look of your bros 93 JagZ

·
Registered
74 Posts
If your riding on smooth trails with little bumps and like the speed, go for the liquid. If your riding on trails that get beat up a lot. It's a lot more fun to be on a later model sled (even a Z370 that can go only 60 top end), at the end of the day after hitting all the bumps. I know a guy who had an old El Tigra with a liquid and studs. He could fly on the icy streets and blow away the smaller and much slower Z370 I was riding (when I first started out) On rutted trails and rough conditions, the older sled in no way could maintain the same speed as the newer suspensioned fan sled.

That being said, if you ride on most Michigan trails for example. I'd get the newer fan. The newer sled should have less issues related to age. Also depending on what your spending you might be able to find some pretty decent deals near $3000 for a fairly recent ZR600 which would solve all your problems, except gas miliage.

The FAN cooled sno-pros should get about 15 miles per gallon on average. Sometimes less, not often more.

Greg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts