Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone this is my first topic so i might not be that good. I really like the 2003 and 2004 mxzx 440's. I was wondering the gas mileage you get on them with the average tank size. i think it is a 10 gallon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I don,t know about the 440 but my 670 gets about 15mpg if I,am just trail riding , the 440 should do better.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am in the 8-10 MPG range with the case reed 440 and 34 MM carbs :confused: My 98 440 rotary valve with 34 MM carbs was in the 16-18 range. Boy I miss that Motor :bash: I have been riding Ski Doo 440's for 9 years. Your 03 motor will be 8-10 MPG range , :cussing: sorry.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Gotta love RV engines eh

from the 345,454,470,536,583,617,670s

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
oops forgot the RV 245

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I am in the 8-10 MPG range with the case reed 440 and 34 MM carbs :confused: My 98 440 rotary valve with 34 MM carbs was in the 16-18 range. Boy I miss that Motor :bash: I have been riding Ski Doo 440's for 9 years. Your 03 motor will be 8-10 MPG range , :cussing: sorry.[/b]
Any guys that I've spoken to that have ridden the case reed 440s have gotten worse mileage than what I got on my '95 MXZ 440 (RV motor) that I had.

I don't know if it's the carb calibration or the clutching/gearing that has reduced the mileage of the sleds.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Track is the big thing that brings you down. Lots of loss with 1 3/4" paddles. Also, you must get the trail needles for it.

Mike

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Probably what most folks use on the trail a 1" or 1 1/4" lug.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Track is the big thing that brings you down. Lots of loss with 1 3/4" paddles. Also, you must get the trail needles for it.

Mike[/b]
Mike, I always wondered how jetting for a hi compression motor would've made a big difference. I'm pretty sure my '95 was the last year of the consumer 440. Didn't the '96s in the S chassis start the era of premix sleds?

Hard to say what your mileage would be w/ a 1" track. You don't see a lot of 440s on the trail new or used & I imagine the guys that are riding are just swapping in the low comp domes & leaving the sled pretty much they way they bought them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike, I always wondered how jetting for a hi compression motor would've made a big difference. I'm pretty sure my '95 was the last year of the consumer 440. Didn't the '96s in the S chassis start the era of premix sleds?

Hard to say what your mileage would be w/ a 1" track. You don't see a lot of 440s on the trail new or used & I imagine the guys that are riding are just swapping in the low comp domes & leaving the sled pretty much they way they bought them.[/b]
but see the thing is that with all the upgrades like the domes and all do you think the gas mileage will go up alot?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
All the low compression domes do is allow you to run pump gas. I'm not sure if it's 87 or 91 octane they require. I don't think that will affect your mileage.

Now the trail needles as mentioned before may be leaner & that would help your mileage. The track w/ shorter lugs would reduce parasitic drag & also improve slider life on hard pack.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
03 440's were the easiest to trail convert. i used the stock needles on my 03 but changed clip position. put a 10 gallon tank on it, longer pick up in the tank, low compression heads, change base gasket depending on what's in it, change jets, and unplug the timing switch.

the track, and gearing is what makes the sled bad on fuel. lots of fun in tight twisty trails or ditches but the wide open trails they get left behind. on my 03 i would get 50 miles to a 10 gallon tank on the set-up i had. brutal but the most fun ive ever had on any machine!!

tons of info on dootalk.com in the 440 race section.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
on my 03 i would get 50 miles to a 10 gallon tank on the set-up i had. brutal[/b]
I spoke to a mechanic @ my dealer & he said 1 of their customers rode a 440 this winter & barely made a trip up & back on a 24 mile stretch of railbed. 50 miles & he was on fumes. Not sure which tank he was using.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Kris 97 MXZ 440 LC was the last oil injected 440 liquid from Doo consumer sled

The 1st limited SnoXer was the 97 MXZx 440 was the 1st highcomp premix 440

96/97 had the same 85hp 454 RV as your 95

the MXZx had 90+hp

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I spoke to a mechanic @ my dealer & he said 1 of their customers rode a 440 this winter & barely made a trip up & back on a 24 mile stretch of railbed. 50 miles & he was on fumes. Not sure which tank he was using.[/b]

i know a lot of people getting 12-14mpg with their pump gas 440's but they're not as aggressive as a sno-x set-up. a lot of guys are going with oil injection and even RER!!

50 miles was pushing it on my sled, i knew it's limits on how far i could go. there was only 1 way to ride it so it was exactly the same mileage every tank. i picked up another 04 440 last week and had it out on the pond waterskipping so i'm not sure on the mileage of this one yet but it'll be close to the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts