Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 2002 440 pro x I have main jets set at 300 and the clutch is stock & seems to be in working order. I have no top end, at wide open throttle run out of motor. PLEASE HELP !!!!! Any ideas would be great.
cheers,
Steely

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi guys, I have a 2002 440 pro x I have main jets set at 300 and the clutch is stock & seems to be in working order. I have no top end, at wide open throttle run out of motor. PLEASE HELP !!!!! Any ideas would be great.
cheers,
Steely[/b]
Any ideas?????? could use some HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
More information needed. Was this an ex race sled? If so, it is geared to accelerate from corner to corner as fast as possible, not lake race at 100+ mph. Have you put the Polaris trail kit on it yet, bigger tank, lower compression heads, etc.? If not. I hope you been using 103 octane gas or better. What RPM are you running? I'm guessing it should be around 8,000-8,200. Does your RPM slow as you hit top end? Soo many questions, soo little time.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
More information needed. Was this an ex race sled? If so, it is geared to accelerate from corner to corner as fast as possible, not lake race at 100+ mph. Have you put the Polaris trail kit on it yet, bigger tank, lower compression heads, etc.? If not. I hope you been using 103 octane gas or better. What RPM are you running? I'm guessing it should be around 8,000-8,200. Does your RPM slow as you hit top end? Soo many questions, soo little time.[/b]
Great response :thumbsup: , almost sounds like it is running out of gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More information needed. Was this an ex race sled? If so, it is geared to accelerate from corner to corner as fast as possible, not lake race at 100+ mph. Have you put the Polaris trail kit on it yet, bigger tank, lower compression heads, etc.? If not. I hope you been using 103 octane gas or better. What RPM are you running? I'm guessing it should be around 8,000-8,200. Does your RPM slow as you hit top end? Soo many questions, soo little time.[/b]
yes, trail pkg. put on...... different gear, bigger blk tank, low comp. head. Do u think maybe timing???

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
the sled is only geared to go about 85. it has 19/43 gears. i have an 03 with a 660 in it with the same gears and it only goes about 90. id rather have the acceleration myself. if you want more top end move the top to a 20

·
Registered
304 Posts
what size gearing did you put in it?? with the trail kit you should be running lighter weights s49h and the timing box set on the e setting. the motor should be shifting at 85-8600rpm.
sounds to me if you got to big of gearing in it the motor just cant pull it. or if your trying to make it keep up to a 6 or 700 forget it! if the youve done all that you could have a blown reed or even a bellow or spring blown in the ehaust valves.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's been my experience that timing almost never changes, and is usually not a problem on newer sleds. I guess you will have to decide is it the engine? Could be the reeds or exhaust valve springs as mentioned above. Look at the plugs, are they that medium brown color we all like to see, check your compression. If the engine is running OK in your opinion, then is it the clutch? Are the clutches running hot after a hi speed run? Check for a broken motor mount, check alignment, new belt may be a good idea, look at the springs. If you have not replaced the both springs since 2002 , it's past time. Could be your track is too tight. Was it running good on top end before, and now it's not? As I said before soo many questions. :unsure:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts