Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building the most exciting snowmobiles in the industry pays off. While poor snow conditions during last winter slowed industry sled sales slightly and hurt the preseason performance of other manufacturers, Yamaha enjoyed one of its best Spring Power Surge sales events ever.

On the strength of the most innovative lineup in the sport, Yamaha's 2003 machines delivered a major impact to the sport of snowmobiling. Led by the groundbreaking RX1 models  the first high performance fourstroke snowmobiles in history and continuing the success of the SXViper line with the introduction of the SXViper Mountain, Yamaha sales stayed extremely strong this past spring.

"Yamaha just completed a very successful 2003 product launch," said Snowmobile Product Manager Mike Doughty. "In fact, our worldwide preseason sales matched our previous spring record set just last season."

Last season’s sales can be highly attributed to the all-new SX Viper model. Nearly 30% of the customers who bought the ’02 SX Viper switched from competing brands. By Yamaha changing the be-everything, do-everything mentality and focusing on one strong model in the highest segment of snowmobiling, they were able to take their position from last place to first place within one season. Truly a Cinderella story.

This season’s success is a very similar scenario. Yamaha recognized it was losing market share with the SRX in the high performance category and for ’03 have focused its attention to building an all-new high performance snowmobile – and do it with four stroke power. Targeting the typical snowmobiler, the RX1, RX1 ER and RX1 Mountain snowmobiles have a broad based appeal. Interest in the RX1's superb fourstroke engine performance, innovative chassis design and impressive styling cut across geographical boundaries, age brackets and riding styles  the RX1 models are a hit with casual trail riders and performance enthusiasts alike. It would be no surprise to find the RX-1 outselling all other performance models for ’03 by the end of the season.

In fact, many snowmobilers switched brands to buy the RX1. On average, 15 percent of all snowmobilers change brands when they buy a new snowmobile. The RX1 blew that away. An incredible 40 percent of RX1 customers came from other brands. Of those buyers, 63 percent had never owned a Yamaha snowmobile before. The RX1 provided a strong reason to buy a Yamaha – for many, their first.

"We are very pleased with our snowmobile business," said Doughty. "We're coming off of a great spring, we have new and exciting snowmobiles to sell this fall and Yamaha dealers are excited about our snowmobile business direction. We again plan to sell out early  it's good for our dealers, good for our industry and allows us to continue building our momentum."

This focused attention to one targeted class of sleds has proved very successful to Yamaha and will likely be repeated in seasons to come. The engineering know-how and determination have proved once again that when it comes to providing the customer with what they want, there is no such word as “impossible”.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Where are the actual sales figures The only statistic we ever read about is how many sales the Big 4 as a whole sell according to ISMA.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mighty RX-1 @ Aug. 13, 2002, 09:50am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Targeting the typical snowmobiler, the RX1, RX1 ER and RX1 Mountain snowmobiles have a broad based appeal.[/b][/quote]
I would consider myself a typical snowmobiler but the snowmobile I'm interested in doesn't cost near as much or have as much HP as the RX-1. Sorry, not interested. As 600 cc twin will do me just fine. I may not be the first one down the lake, but that isn't a criteria for me. Plus I'll have a bit of money left over to fill up my gas guzzling 2 stroke.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
everyone has the right to print their own opinion.

i'll always remember the auto buyers guide that said the GM tracker was a low class excuse for a 4X4, but the Suzuki Sidekick was the best thing by the author of the book.

from then on i said the only opinion that matters to me is mine and i won't try to push my opinion on others because they all have their own reason for liking what they want.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I agree with paul 100%.It's like watching the car and driver shows and getting a report on the vehicle by a journalist

Ya those pencil pushers sure no cars...NOT TO FRIGGIN LIKELY
It also seems that a certain member of SW is trying to convince himself and others that he bought a good sled

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I agree with Paul and z800rtx.  

Mighty dont worry it will be a good sled.  Not as good as the Mach but close...

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Paul, from what Mighty RX-1 printed it looks like a Yamaha press release.

About the Tracker/Sidekick comparison, I remember back in the 80s listening to Phil Edmunston (sp?) (Canada's version of Ralph Nader) on a radio talk show. One listener phoned in to say that he was thinking of buying a full size Blazer. Phil didn't recommend it, but later in the show said that the GM full size pickups were a good buy.

I was under the impression that a Blazer basically was a shortened shortbox pickup with a cap. (sarcasm) The drivetrain & chassis is the same for crying out loud!! What a moron. I have heard that the fiberglass tops leaked & cracked, but he never justified his statement. Typical of so-called experts.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I dont agree with the statment about making the most exciting vehicles.  They are neat in there own way but skidoo and cat got exciting covered..  

The only thing thats exciting about yamaha is there HYPE.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
the only thing I will say is look out when the OEM's starts building very lil' units and in hopes for a sell out.that will drive the cost even higher.don't think so look at harley davidson,nice bike not the best but they do bring big money the old supply and demand.its good for the industry,it makes them more money.

·
Registered
404 Posts
has it been that long that we forgot about the "Viper"
???

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I know one guy who's ordered a RX-1 & 2 guys with REVs, so I'll be able to find out first hand how they run this winter.

·
Registered
546 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mighty RX-1 @ Aug. 13, 2002, 09:50am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The engineering know-how and determination have proved once again that when it comes to providing the customer with what they want, there is no such word as “impossible”.[/b][/quote]

If yamaha is this good, then why are they typically in last place when it comes to sales figures?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts