Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could give me some of the diffrences between the EXT and ZR for 94.Hope I dont sound like an idiot.I was just curious because I just finished putting back together my buddies Mach 1 after his accident using some Z parts and it just made me wonder about swapping some ZR parts on to my little lead sled.Being that I hope to buy a house within the year and a newer sled is not really in my future.(for now)Thanks all! SWRules

·
Registered
757 Posts
Motor-wise, I don't think there was any difference. I think the '94 EXT had that hideous mechanical brake and the ZR had the Wilwood. Other than that and shocks, probably not much.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I have a 95 EXT 580 and my friend has a wrecked 95 ZR 580 in his backyard. As far as I could tell when I looked it over (at about 11 at night with a flashlight) they looked the same cept for stickers. I think the exhaust and clutching are tuned differently, and the ZR comes with better shocks, but I am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The only real difference was the shocks on those sleds. The ZR was set up a little stiffer than the EXT. You should be able to swap any part from either sled to the other.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Basically your looking at the difference between a ZR and a ZL. There is not enough to say so. You should be able to interchange parts without any trouble. I believe there may be some porting differences in the cylinders. The heads i think are the same. The clutching is different, as well as the shocks. I think the ZR came with wilwood brakes and the ext came with standard brakes. Remember the ZR was bread more towards racing and the ext was more trail friendly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
442 Posts
the motors are slightly different between the EXT and the ZR. the EXT's have a single exhaust port motor rated at about 90 horsepower and the ZR's have a triple exhaust port motor rated at about 97 horsepower. all the internals should be the same and maybe even the pipe but if you start swapping out jugs just remember to make sure you either have two single or two triple exhaust port just you wouldn't want to mismatch them

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
The 94 ZR made 97hp?... i was unaware of that... Did the ZR run bigger mm carbs?

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Wow i thought that but was afraid to say... hahaha i feel better myself now...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I thought the 1994 ZR 580 motor was different from the 95 til current 580 motors? I thought the ZR 580 didn't have the tripple exhaust port until 1995?

·
Registered
26 Posts
the zr had 4 drive sprokets while the ext only has 2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts