Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 94 &/or 96 Cat 580 EXT sleds. 96 has EFI.

Does anyone have any information as to durability, strengths, weaknesses, issues, etc. to look at when looking at them. What should cylinder compression be? Any reason to jump at buying (assuming price is OK) or backing away.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,
Mike

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by radlaw@Oct 8 2002, 10:49 PM
I am looking at a 94 &/or 96 Cat 580 EXT sleds. 96 has EFI.

Does anyone have any information as to durability, strengths, weaknesses, issues, etc. to look at when looking at them. What should cylinder compression be? Any reason to jump at buying (assuming price is OK) or backing away.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,
Mike
I personally wouldn't buy a 580 but if that's your thing go with it. It is a durable sled but alot of maintenance. You constantly have to keep an eye on the intake boots so you don't lean it out and smoke a piston, there is a coolant temp sensor on the EFI that goes bad. Compression should be about 120 #, but if you get it I would do an upperend on it and definitely check out the intake boots for cracking. I would add a bit more money and look at a triple 600 or a 99 ZR600. My .02

·
Registered
757 Posts
The '94 EXT had a mechanical brake. Everyone I know that had one did nothing but complain about the brake.

The 580 motor has been beat to death on past posts. There are a few things that need to be checked (intake boots, water pump) and as a general rule, plan on a top end rebuild at @ 3000 mi. Most (not all) of the problems you here about the 580 are on the '97's.

With good maintenance and common sense, the 580 will be fine although I do agree to go with a 600 or even a 500 if price permits.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The rear suspension on these is pretty bad. I keep thinking of upgrading mine, but I don't think the sled is worth the money, so I'll just keep hammering on the thing.

Mine has almost 7,000 miles on it (6, 9xx) and still runs good. Compression is 112-115 pounds, and it started with 2 pulls after sitting all summer. It's never been rebuilt (my dad bought it brand new) but has had problems. I was going to throw a top end in it this fall, but I wanna see how long it'll last for. Got all the parts sitting here, so when it does go it should only be like a one night project.

The clutches needed a rebuild with about 5,500 miles on the sled. It just kept getting slower and slower over about a 500 mile period. Knew something was wrong when top speed went from just over 100 mph to less than 60 mph.

About 1000 miles before that the chaincase decided it wanted new bearings and came apart pretty harshly. Sad thing is it happened while riding powder. Seems like that would fail more under landing while wide open or something.

And the other thing is that the plastic trim bezel that hold the gauges in place cracked all to hell. Can't get that part without getting the whole gauge for like $150 or something rediculas. Used some plastic to make a new ring and it is holding so far.

All in all I am happy with this sled. If buying something now I would definitly look for a newer sled. Anything this old has definitly had work done to it, and most people never do things right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts