Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride today to test out my new 6 inch risers, 96 580 ext started great and idled o.k. after playing with the throttle extension adjustment then started riding. Got about 3 miles in to the ride and open her up full throttle and talk about no power and then all of a sudden just died. Couldn't pull it over until I manually spun the clutch. Pulled the plugs, the one looked good the other one was white (overheated?). got towed out and home and it is trying to start but won't. Checked the spark and it is good on both sides. PLEASE HELLLLPPPP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Went for a ride today to test out my new 6 inch risers, 96 580 ext started great and idled o.k. after playing with the throttle extension adjustment then started riding. Got about 3 miles in to the ride and open her up full throttle and talk about no power and then all of a sudden just died. Couldn't pull it over until I manually spun the clutch. Pulled the plugs, the one looked good the other one was white (overheated?). got towed out and home and it is trying to start but won't. Checked the spark and it is good on both sides. PLEASE HELLLLPPPP.

My 96 580 ext did the same thing. It turned out to be a blown piston and cylinder. I bought a cheap compression tester at harbor freight for 8 dollars. One side was 95 the other was only 35. I bought new pistons on ebay for $100 and a nice used cylinder for 75. Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotemain'>
My 96 580 ext did the same thing. It turned out to be a blown piston and cylinder. I bought a cheap compression tester at harbor freight for 8 dollars. One side was 95 the other was only 35. I bought new pistons on ebay for $100 and a nice used cylinder for 75. Good luck.[/b]
Not really the answer I wanted to hear but thanks very much and I will do a compression test. Thanks again.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The white is most likely melted aluminum. You will want to track down the source of the air leak that could have lead to the lean condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts