Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
??? Hi guys, I am going to get my sled out from under cover this week .I want to check it over from top to bottom. Sled = 1995 stx Lt

What is acceptable compression #?
The sled always worked great ,but last season near the end it didn't want to idle. It would start and run well as long as I kept on the throttle.. Thanks Rod

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
rodmax, your comprission should be between 135 to 150 psi. sounds like your idling problem may be carb related, better chack and clean the carbs.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sounds like a dirty idle circuit. You would be amazed at how a small speck of dirt will foul things up in a carb. Take them out and clean them thoroughly. Also check the rubber boots for cracks and possible leaks. You definately want at least 120-125 psi at a minimum, but more importantly, make sure the two cylinders are close to each other, within a few psi. Also, the proper way to test the motor is when it is warm.

By the way, I spoke to a mechanic buddy of mine who is a service manager for a Honda / Yamaha dealer, and he said they have started to use Simple Green to soak the carb bodies in to clean (yes, simple green). It is cheaper and easier to use than carb cleaner, and does a better job for getting in the nooks and crannies. Soak the body for no more than 20 minutes, rinse with water and dry. Of course, you can remove the jets and small parts as usual. It works great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rodmax, when you do the compression check make sure the throttle is wide open. This can make a difference. Anything lower than 120 should be looked at. But I agree with the rest that it is probably something in the carbs. Good luck. :devil: SWRules

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:sarcasm: Thanks guys, I am going to check and clean the carbs this weekend.. ??? We'll see what I find out...Then I'll try the compression test..

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
125-130LBS

Mine has 128 each side

Ya clean the carbs

Might want to clean the rave valves too

To bad you live so far a way I would trade my short track 95 STX for your longtrack STX

I wanted the Longtrack STX but got a good deal on the short track :D :sly:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts