Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright - newbie question.

The moveable sheave on my 6 post '95 EXT 580 EFI is cracked badly. I bought a new moveable sheave and a clutch puller tool from the local A/C dealer. To my dismay, the removal tool they sold me does not fit up the middle of the engine shaft :(. SO I tried a short cut. I just took the clutch apart on the sled. But I could not get the spring support (name?) that the cams and spring react on to loosen from the shaft. The sheave is free with some play - but I tried everything I could think of to get that part loose. What is the trick??? Does the shaft expand due to the taper fit and you just plain have to remove the clutch to get it free??? Please help! I want to ride tomorrow but I'm a little worried about riding any more with the big cracks in the clutch.

Thanks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You can buy a special set of tools for removing the spider. I made my own. I welded the clutch end of a junk crankshaft to my 20 ton press (as an anchor point). Then I made a grunt tool out of a two foot long piece of sucker rod, a piece of plate cut to look like a 4" diameter washer, and three 1/2" bolts with nuts. I've rebuilt many clutches with it. It will also do Polaris clutches. You have to get the clutch off the motor though.
You could do it on the sled but, you have to lock the motor up pretty hard to use the grunt tool on the spider. Maybe if you could get a sort of spanner wrench made to fit the back (engine side) of the clutch.
Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - looks like i'm just going to try and milk it through today. Probably my last day of riding for the season. Definately looks much easier with the clutch removed. I think I'm just going to let my mechanic deal with it - Seems tough/impossible without the spider wrench and a good way to hold the fixed sheave.

Thanks for the help.

·
10,054 Posts
if you already have a big crack in it, I wouldnt ride it 2 mile,,, if that thing grenades on your (even while you are babying it) your gonna be replacing a lot more than your clutch sheave. I would put the cover back on it and get the proper clutch puller to take it out. If you bought the clutch puller from your local dealer and they sold you the wrong one, I would take it back and get the right one. You will want one anyway to pull your clutches over the summer. Then as far as the grunt tool goes,,, it may be best to take you clutch to the local dealer and simply have them replace the sheave for you. It shouldnt cost that much (possibly cheaper than the grunt tool will) good luck with what ever you decide though,,,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts