Zoom

·
Registered
354 Posts
Could someone tell me how to identify if a motor is a 600 HO

the sled is a mxz 600 HO 2003
just not sure where to find out for sure it's an HO not just a 600

Zoom[/b]

Is it a 600 SDI ho? either way.....the High outputs have had ring problems and honestly don't last as long as the 500ss.... which is practically the same motor but the 500ss will last alot longer, 500ss is pushing anywhere from 104-107 hp. as where the HO is putting out about 115, its a fast sled, but realiability issues plague this version of skidoo. the differences bettween a non HO and an HO are very minimal.

hope that was of some help,

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Unless the engine has been swapped out, it's an HO. The choices in '03 were 600HO or 800.

I don't think the SDI was available until '04.

To answere your question, as far as positively identifying the engine, I believe the engine vin and chassis vin will share the same last #'s, hopefully someone on here can confirm that today, if not, I'll check it tonight and post again tomorrow.

Performance wise, I don't agree with Yamidude59, but then again, I'm a little biased as I run a 600HO.

Don't get me wrong, the 500 SS is a good reliable motor (it's actually a 597?) but it is no where near the top end performer the 600H.O. is. Plus, the 600 HO uses the stonger 700 bottom end, and bigger carbs. Other than flaky rings (likely already replaced, but easy to replace if not) I have heard of no reliability issues with the H.O.'s. After my dealer put a set of rings in under warranty, I put 15,000 KM's on mine before it was torn down. The wear was minimal, the sled would have gone several thousand more K's ..... and it's quick. The 500SS is better on fuel, stays with the HO till 75mph, and yes, will likley last longer, but with almost every performance engine, mileage and longevity are somewhat compromised in the name of h.p.

Speaking of which, I think the 500SS is rated at 105, and the 600HO is either 118 or 120.

·
Registered
354 Posts
thanks... i was close with the horsepower, i have ridden both sleds, and i have no problems with either one, but the vin is the best way to check, match the one thats on the right hand side tunnel footwell and the vin on the top of the motor.... like mike said

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Zoom,

The easiest way to identify a 600 HO is look at the exhaust gasket flanges between the Y-pipe and the cylinder. An HO they are square and a non HO they are Trapezoid shaped.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Zoom,

The easiest way to identify a 600 HO is look at the exhaust gasket flanges between the Y-pipe and the cylinder. An HO they are square and a non HO they are Trapezoid shaped.[/b]
I was trying to think of the answer to the orignal question, as I was always curious myself, and the above mentioned detail was the only thing I could see different when looking the the parts fiche.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
'04 was the 1st year of the SDI. Easy to spot the injectors on the "backside" of the motor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts