Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to probably get a REV, and im wondering what size engine i should get, the 600H.O., or the 800.  is the 800 worth the extra 1000.  I like aggresive riding, once in a while flying on the lake, field bombing, and stuff like that.  so should i get the 600H.O., or the 800??

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
sledcrazy,
 i believe the handle still hasn't been put on big twins yet and would go with the 600.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean by "handle"??  they are not as reliable or??  thnx for the advice tho.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
sledcrazy,
 a number of things that are horror stories one being gas mileage from the 800 is said by some to be less than 8 miles per gallon every 800 twin doo i have seen one the trails has a jerry can with him. that's just one of them i guess you will have to ask other 800 owners.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Moved to Ski-Doo

Gas mileage...hey man, for high HP, you gotta push gas through. That's the way it is. If you can handle the 800, I would go 800. I think it won't be as "zippy" as the 600HO, but it'll be a rocket to be sure. Besides...what does an aggressive rider care about gas mileage anyway?

I wouldn't expect the same gas mileage from the 600HO as a regular 600 either..more along the lines of a 700 likely

Last edited by Rocketman at May 26, 2002, 10:34am

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thnx for the info guys, they say the 600H.O. puts out like 8 or 10% more hp, so i think it would be equal to a 660 or something.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can improve the mileage on the 800 by changing the head. I ran a RKT head on mine last year with 430 mains and got 14 MPG. That mileage was as good as anything I rode with. GLHRacing on this forum can give you some great clutching set-ups for the 800 also.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you want to run on the lake and field bomb spend the x-tra grand and get the 800.The gas milage is not as bad as some people are making it sound.I was getting 10 to 12 mpg out of a tank.If it's jetted properly you'll have no problem.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I have had consistant 11-12 MPG the entire life of my sled. Best mileage out of our group. XC500, ZRT600 (2001 w/ APV), ZR800, ZR500, ZR 600. My sled has the smallest tank, but takes the least amount of gallons when we get to the pump. Simple clutching helps allot.

I have had zero problems with the motor in my sled, other than the pull starter has finally started to give after 4500 miles. Doo has put the "handle" on these motors. In 2002 they have gotten the HP out of them to compete, at least stock vs. stock.

·
Registered
268 Posts
600 HO horsepower numbers are 110-115 if I recall correctly from Snowtech's spring issue. Thats 20-25 less than the 800 conservatively speaking. Weight difference is negligable.
Unless you have other concerns.....its a NO BRAINER!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well guys that 800 is getting about 6 times more gas mileage then my 2001 mxz 600, i was getting about 2-3 mpg, yes thats right 2 to 3 mpg.  but they found out that they had a problem with the 2001, but i didnt feel like wasting the valuable 2 mins of sled time we had this season to get it fixed so i stuck with it, but my sled is all set now, and im getting a new REV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I rode an 800 rev for about 17 miles with my local dealer. The handling and ride were absolutely awesome but it didn't seem to have the power of my '02 mxz800x. Taking this into consideration I definitely wouldn't even think about a 600. By the way, I'm not a speed freak but want power there when I want it. GET THE 800!!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yup! 800!. 134 HP and about 10 MPG. I went  with the MX Z Adrenaline. In the ZX X chassis. I will like the Adrenaline better than the X because I thought the X was a tad stiff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
GO WITH THE 800...
My 01 and 02s gas mileage was only off of the 600s I rode with by 1 or 2 gallons at fill up.
They were even better than the zr 600 artic craps that rode with us.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why would someone want a Mach Z when they could get the 800 in a rev chassis that only weighs in at 455lbs.Not knocking the Mach Z  or anything but i think you have to admit its getting a little long in the tooth.I would like to see how the 800 rev runs against the Mach in stock form,i think it will be a closer race than you might think.Just one mans opinion and not trying to offend anyone.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Everyone seems to keep knocking the 800 for milage...All I can say is my 02 800 was getting between 10 and 15 miles per gallon depending on how I rode. Milage came up after the burn in was done. Some are saying "with all the recalls on the 800" I'd rather have a recall than a company keep their lips shut about a problem no matter how much the buyers are complaining. As for the 600 HO....Its the first year for them...

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Because the Mach 800 is a triple and the Rev 800 is a twin.  

The triples are solid and make a ton of power.  The 800 twin is yet to win my confidence and makes less power and wont go as fast.

Also the 800 does get bad milage unless you jet it just perfect.  

My Mach Z will get better then a 500cc twin on long rail lines and will avrage a little more the a 600 and under a 700 during the curves.  This is with out dpm..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts