Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there got the same overheating problem that might have some insite about Polaris is going to do? Ilost all of last season because of this problem, and to date they have not answered my case. if there are others please let me know, I can add yours to the list already started
Pete

·
Registered
69 Posts
YES POLARIS HAS A OVERHEATING PROBLEM AND THEY ARE AWARE OF IT. MY O2' 600 OVERHEATEDLAST WINTER EARLY MORNING ON HARD PACKED TRAILS. I THINK MY PROBLEM WAS A STRIPPED OVERFLOW BOTTLE CAP. POLARIS IS GIVING OUT LONGER SNOW FLAPS TO KEEP MORE DUST IN THE TRACK OR IF THAT DOES NOT CURE THE PROBLEM THE HAVE A RETO FIT UNDER SEAT HEAT EXCHANGER THEY ARE INSTALLING. I PLAN TO HAVE THEM PUT ON THE LONGER FLAP,I ONLY HAD THE PROBLEM 1 TIME AND JUST REPLACED THE BOTTLE. NO DAMAGE TO THE SLED BUT I SHUT DOWN RIGHT AWAY,AND ADDED 2 BOTTLES OF BRISK TEA TO THE OVERFLOW BOTLLE AND RODE IT 12MILES TO TRACKSIDE IN EAGLE RIVER THEY FIXED IT IN 1HR.

·
Registered
138 Posts
overheat-Where you from? If you are in Michigan, Nelson's can shed lite on the situation better. Had the same problem with 500 M10.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I was bored one night and looked all over on the subject. Polaris really doesn't want to replace alot of parts on sleds. but they have a retro fit kit with a different heat exchanger,snow flap, and some misc stuff. They also copletely flush the system to get ALL AIR out of the system as any air raises the boiling point. But a good dealer is the best cure as they will get you the whole fix. Polaris had a hard time recreating the situations people were encountering. But admit that the #1 problem was people setting there ride height up to 4 inches higher than needed on the m-10's. This created to much distance for the exchangers to get cooled. They also found it's running on hard pack,and ice were where the most problems happened as it increased the fact that no snow was thrown up. Hope this helps, so check that ride height first and foremost. it doesn't need to be high as it doesn't effect ride quality.
Caleb

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey Sled Dogg, where did you find the info on the ride height issue. Sure makes sense to me. ;)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Polaris and their overheating issues are nothing new. My parents both ride 2000 indys with X-12 that have both overheated since day one if the conditions are anything but loose snow. Being fairly slow riders seems to make the problem even worse. Polaris claimed both their sleds were an isolated incident (one that they refused to address) but my moms 98 500 with X-12 had the same problem. I think they've been lean on heat exchangers/ride too high for some years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Done all of the above, I have 2 sleds 2002 's 600xcsp with m10 and a700xcsp with m10 we ride the two side by side guess what 600 overheats 700 does not I believe everything Polaris is tring to do is bull crap I lost all last season of riding because of this problem POLARIS will not even talk to me they will not even extend the warranty This sled spend most of its life in the shop. can anyone talk to Polaris

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If it has the extra heat exchanger/other updates inst and still overheats perhaps its a headgasket problem due to it running hot in the early going. Has the gauge been confirmed accurate? As sled dogg stated lowering your ride height has been know to help (plus makes it ride better) so has studding the track and running it a little on the loose side. If none of this helps get on Polaris's back and don't get off. Contacting their local BBB office (they have a web site that can direct you to the local office) and asking for their assistance may be helpfull. It worked when I was dealing with Arctic Cat. It took me several months of daily/weekly fax's, e-mails, phone calls and letters (and the BBB) before they would agree to deal with my sleds issues. The end result was better than I could have hoped for.
Keep in mind though, yelling and screaming almost never works but if they instead know you've dug in and won't go away they may choose to deal with your problems.
Rick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 02 600 XCSP with a 136 kit w/1.50 lugs and only saw the overheat light once last year. That when I WOT across a snowless lake.

The biggest thing to check is the TPS calibration. At WOT and using the tool, set the voltage to no more than 3.9 Vdc.

The suspension setup and flap will cure the rest of the problems where no, or little snow condition prevail.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Opps, I forgot about checking the TPS, just read about that the other day, memory must be slippin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help I have adjusted the tps setting No luck.
I contacted the consumer protection agency for the state of NH filed a complaint on April 17 2002 You talk about the system not workig, they called one of the local Polaris shops to ask about this problem and their response wash that Polaris came out with a new and improved bottle and I should have this installed .The consumer protection agency pass that along to me when I called about the statis of my complaint. O' well I guess I'll just forget about Polaris and more on to another company

·
Registered
138 Posts
overheat: Have you done all of this and checked it with snow on the ground?
#1-Have you tried a longer snowflap
#2-New bottle
#3-Flushed Coolant system
#4-TPS setting
#5-lower ride hieght (try taking FRA down 1/2 notch)
#6-New heat exchanger

If it is still overheating after the deler has done all of this and they won't do anymore, lock her up tight and have dealer overhaul the engine. If you spring ordered the sled you have a 2 year warranty on the engine.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
700 Rat,
I believe it was in the SnowTech mag about the ride height. Was definetly one of the mags and they listed all of the things that needed to be done and there order. But ride height was the #1 culprit as 4 inches lower makes a huge difference as to where the snow thrown up hits the exchangers.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I just saw in the new Coffey's book that they are again selling a nose cone rad kit (from Gamma), it should cure the problem once and for all. Its part #784-2500 and sells for $329.95. Alot cheaper than frying an engine.
Rick.

·
Registered
216 Posts
refering to the fella with the parents that have the extra-12's. If they are 500 fuji engines you can probably drop the needles (raise the clip) one notch. This should cure that problem. I've heard alot of complaints about the 500's overheating. I've owned two of them and never had a problem, of course I've dropped the needles on them. I've heard horror stories about people trading there sleds in on new ones for this reason itself. The dealers we're a joke about trying to fix the problem. I've asked these people about changing the clip position and said it was never even discussed. Don't want to go into too much more detail, I'm getting off of the topic, but that's my 2 cents anyway. When you ride in temp's in the 30's and 40's don't expect performance, just have a good time unless you're on an all out milage run, than you better know how to read a plug and make jet/carb changes on the trail. If you are asking for the answer to the overheating question, follow what sled dog says, it just makes sense. P.S. I've had sleds overheat only in: low snow conditions, warm days, and while towing another sled. Do the sensible thing, find some snow to play in and keep dipping that suspension in it. If it's that good of a sled you'll be able to catch up. ;)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Good thought on the jetting. People that ride easy are the ones having the bulk of the problems, my moms does it worse than my dads, so yes being a little on the fat side may be tipping the balance causing them to overheat. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:withstupid: well went back for all the updates they have on the 600xcsp time will tell again. going to canada next week will give everyone the news but it does not sound good because the could not tell me this is the FIX overheat

1 - 20 of 20 Posts