Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going over my sled this weekend (keep it at the cottage). The secondary was set to B1. It has a beige spring. According to the spring post from Rocketman, this is 16 lbs. I put it back together at A6 (18.5), which you guys have said is the stock setting.

As I posted previously, last year the sled would rev to about 7600rpm then climb slowly to where it should run. I asked if the secondary being at too low of a preload would cause this. I didn't get an answer.. so I am asking again. Would the B1 setting cause this?

·
Registered
55 Posts
IM NO EXPERT IN CLUTCH DEP , here is what i think.

b1 = 16 lbs preload
a6 = 18.5 lbs preload

if nothing else change in your clutch , the RPM for a given speed will be higher and the upshift will be slower.

ex : 60 mph at 6000 rpm (b1)
60 mph at 6500 rpm (a6)

max rpm will be higher too , so you might have to set your clicker to a lower position or add weight to keep the same rpm as before.

Unless you have belt slippage (preload ) or want more backshift (preload and helix) , i don't think changing the secondary setting is the way to go. A stiffer primary spring, less pin weight , ramp harder to climb ... is a better way to raise your rpm to where you want it.

:withstupid:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:withstupid:

As I said in the first post, A6 (18.5) is the STOCK setting. Most people say the HO was clutched pretty much perfect from stock, but mine was running funny. I am thinking this B1 setting is why.

Anyways.. in a previous post I stated I was running the clickers at pos 3 or 4 to get the rpms up. I have set them down to 2, and I'll try that with the new proper preload setting for the secondary. Maybe even go to one.. I'll find out once there is snow.

·
Registered
852 Posts
In a word, yes. That very well could clear up the rpm stress. Every sled is a little different and to experiment with 5lbs either way is nothing, especially when you take into consideration driver weight, altitude, etc etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you change the spring? The best way for consistent performance is to change the primary and secondary spring once a season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts