Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a good way to tell if your track clips are to thin and need replacing. i have 4000 miles on my sled and at times last year there was slider shavings under some of my clips.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
A visual inspection is about the only way. Look for dimples appearing on the clip, when you start seeing those the end is near. The shavings you are seeing is actually melted hi-fax, you got her hot at some time. Depending on where you ride and the norm for conditions, 4000 miles could be close to the life for your track. In michigan 4-5000 has been the norm for me and the people I ride with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey mikado,the track on my sled looks fine,other than being curious about the clips, and last year i did do some riding in conditions i would of never done when the sled was brand new, but i just couldn't stop myself.i was throwing around the the idea of putting a 1 1/2 lug track on it, do you recommend?how is it compared to a studded track?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
When they wear thin they look curved on the top side right where the slides press on them, or they will actually bend if the metal get super thin.  Any rust on them calls for replacement, as it will wear your slides like sandpaper.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
bigironinsp, clips & tracks go together like tires & rims, cant run one without the other. You could re-clip but that is costly for good clips and not a fun job at all.
Yes! I would paddle track it. My bud's have been doing it for years and they finally talked me into it after many years of studs. I would never go back! The tracksion and deep snow abilities out weigh the studs in my book. All depends on how you ride, if ice is your main consern then stay with studs. If you want out of the constant hassle of keeping studs in top notch shape, eating up $20.00 wheels and sometimes tearing holes in your track then go for the paddle. I have seen lugs torn off from paddle tracks so that could be a problem too.
I also found the braking power on hard pack a lot better than a studded track. Only you can make the right decision for how you ride and needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts