Snowmobile World banner

670 Summit Pipe Choice

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Kevin Swanson 
#1 ·
I have a 1996 Summit 670. It had the single factory pipe on it before the previous owner kissed a tree with it. I found another factory single pipe (I have the stock can) for $275.00 w/shipping. I also found a set of factory twin pipes w/can for $200.00. The guy says the twin pipes came off of a 96 Summit 670 and are factory pipes. Which would be the better pipe set up? I ride at 8,000 to 10,000 ft, mostly trails with some goofing off in the deep powder. Is one pipe better than the other on the bottom end? I am trying to get some info before I commit to either so any pros or cons of either will be appreciated. Thanks Mike

#2 ·
The undisputed best pipe (although heavy) is the stock 98 - 99 Summit 670 X pipe and suit case. Everyone will tell you that the after markets are lighter, but the mathematics say the X power increase out weights (sorry !) the additional weight. The twin pipes are better suited for high altitude, high compression and porting not for boon docking.

#4 ·
The Best twin pipes were from FAST who are out of business. I still have the power pack kit from fast which entaled a pair of pipes with resonators, a muffler, a special rotary valve and 2 pod filters and jets. Real good set up but finicky to tune when the temps changed. If the stock pipe is only dented, Try Dynamo Joes trick for re inflating it. Braze a cover plate to the y-pipe end and fill the pipe to the top with water. Weld another plate to the outlet then drill it and install a grease zerk. Put a tube of the cheapest $hit grease you can find $2.00 a cylinder. Pump grease into the pipe and watch the dent pop out. You will need to tap it with a hammer around any creases to make the repair stay and maybe heating cooling to stress releive it after but it works.

Happy trails !

#5 ·
The undisputed best pipe (although heavy) is the stock 98 - 99 Summit 670 X pipe and suit case. Everyone will tell you that the after markets are lighter, but the mathematics say the X power increase out weights (sorry !) the additional weight. The twin pipes are better suited for high altitude, high compression and porting not for boon docking.[/b]
Yeah I totally agree. I am running twin pipes on my RMK because I bought it that way, and although you *can* set up the clutch (with a lot of tuning effort) for deep powder, it is difficult to get it right, and if you go above your altitude range you will have engagement problems in the deep stuff. Pipes make clutching much more touchy due to the narrower power band and reduced torque feedback to the clutch (so I'm told). It has taken a lot of tinkering for me to try to balance the clutch performance between trail and powder. The piped engine is much more forgiving on slush and trails, and absolutely hauls a** as long as your clutching allows it to wind up. Twin pipes make a huge change in the way an engine runs. I also agree that the pipes are awesome when you are just flying straight up the side of a mountain or across a lake, and just anytime a turbo-like power curve can be appreciated. Certainly for my area I would prefer a single exhaust hands-down if I was going to chose one. And I can say from experience because I switched the Vmax from SLP pipes to a stock single exhaust and although it does have noticably less top-end, the rideability improvement alone (much wider power band) was enough to justify the change. I'm getting better-than-expected performance out of the RMK at this point by following the SLP clutching chart and tweaking from there, but I still may end up ebaying myself a stock pipe if I find a hot deal. It's tough because at this point I must admit I am addicted to the way that engine hits...almost out of control...makes any trail fun.

#6 ·
No such luck as the pipe was MIA when I got it. Oh well I'll bite the bullet and order the salvage yard pipe and have it waiting when I get home. I just hate putting a $275.00 pipe on my $400.00 sled. Then I need to start on my 95 Summit project sled, but I have everything for it. I just need to put it together. Thanks for the exhaust tip though, I'll remember that one.

#7 ·
Well in my searching I found a set of fast twin pipes w/can $75.00 cheaper than the junkyard stock pipe w/o can. I went ahead and bought these to run with the motor that's in it for now. Now I have an excuse to start building my spare 670 :D It worked out real nice as the porting info is the post right before this one. It must be a sign from the performance gods. Thanks for all the help Mike

#8 ·
Well the Fast pipe guy backed out. So I thought I had found a 96 pipe but guy said it was end dump so I am thinking it is a 95 pipe which I have 2 of. He has a 98 Summit X pipe and can. Can I get this to fit without too much work? Thanks in advance. We have 2' of powder at my house and I can get this pipe here tomorrow. I've been running around the yard with a 95 pipe and straight pipe for a can

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.