Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little project started, I bought a wrecked 96' MXZ, 2100 miles, good engine, and a 98 Formula Z 670 with a blown motor. I want to take the best of both and build a competative (with the newer sleds) trail sled :hallo1: I bought both sleds cheap so I have a little cash to play with. I,ve already bought a set of Crank Shop trail pipes, and a 1 1/4 track, and want to know what other tricks you guys would suggest. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well the difference between a regular 670 and the HO is that the HO came with different porting, different head, diff. pistons, higher compression, 44mm carbs, and to my knowledge the short y-pipe.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There is alot of power to be found in the 670 engine with the right porting and case work. leave the stock pipe on the 670 and go from there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
670Ho is right, but dont even think of using those pipes! keep the stock center dump single, you WILL lose power with those twins.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The 670ho also came with dpm.But to the best of my knowledge the 670ho wasn't in 98 mxz/formula z ???
So you most likely do not have a ho engine.Don't use pipes on the 670 like the others said.Just gear and clutch it and you will be quite happy.I'de stick with the 98 formula z as it has the arc suspension in the rear and it a nice trail sled :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realized I didn't have an HO motor, I wanted to know the difference to see if I could make changes to upgrade it to an HO. I wish now I would have asked the experts before I bought the pipes, but the MXZ pipe was crushed so I thought I had a cheap upgrade for $200. Thanks for the advise, I welcome all suggestions. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
677 Posts
You can most certainly use those crank shop pipes, you just need to get your motor to turn 8300 rpm's. Thats where those pipes make their power, you have to clutch it to run at 8300. Also you have to have the head cut to bring compression back down, the crank shop will do that. There are nine of us that ride together and race every weekend and all of us have pipes on our sleds, and guess what we are faster then all the guys with single pipes. You cant just buy a set of pipes and blot them on and expect to go faster, you will not. You have to do some tuning, if you do what the guys at the crank shop tell you to do then you will have a fast sled. Twin pipes on a 670 along with good porting and clutching will have you beating 800's i garantee it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts