Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok a few weeks ago i did a top end rebuild on my 97 Zr580 Efi alrite after that i put about 300 miles on it ran great...it has been sitting for about a week and a half due to lack of snow...today i took it out and it was running good for about 2 min but then it wouldnt rev over 7,000 rpm's. ive seen this refered to as "limp mode" on this sight before. anyways i came home and checked the plugs,,they were good so i fired it back up it ran decent for about a minuite then back to limp mode! can anybody help??

·
Registered
533 Posts
freak!

Couldn't hurt too retighten your cylinder head and exhaust nuts.  Crack them loose first, then tighten them to spec.  It is possible that they may of come loose in the first 300 miles, thus causing a loss in compression.

You may even want to tighten them another 5lbs (loosen them first), your bolts may of stretched a little over time.  The idea here is to have the cylinder head perfectly even, with the same amount of pressure on each nut.

just my two cents!

newf

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re-torqued everything...they seemed like they needed it...i went for a ride and it did it for a little while...i hammerd the throttle and it seemed to clear out...we went for a short trail ride it acted up a little bit  but not for very long im thinking water in my gas or somthing like that (we were breaking trail). who knows for sure...the red light blinks everytime i pull it over does that mean anything??

·
Registered
533 Posts
I believe the red light is supposed to blink when you pull it over.  Better have someone else with knowledge on the 580 EFI answer this one.

I bet if you dumped some gasline antifreeze in with your fuel, your problems will go away.  Couldn't hurt to throw some injector cleaner in too.  Not too much, you don't want to create a lean mixture.

Check your plugs for a proper burn.  You want to see a nice brown color, I know that some efi cats burn really rich (plugs will be black).  Not a real big problem, and is probably better on the motor, just that you are loosing some power.  Not much you can do about it, short of replacing the chip but then you will need to get in to pipes and reclutching.  If the plugs are white, something is really wrong.

newf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts