Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems with their 700 ves overheating?  A couple of people I know have blown their engines and have told me that there is some problem with the heat exchangers being under the tunnel and not providing enough cooling.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
A buddy of mine rides the 02 700 xc and has not had a problem with overheating yet and thats been in some marginal snow conditions. Check out www.hardcoresledder.com They have some info on the overheating problem and a document you can print out a take to your dealer. Also have some other good info for the 02 Xc's. Check it out.

Paul, I,m giving you all the credit on this one.  

·
Registered
87 Posts
My wife's 02 600 Classic overheated on a trip to michigan earlier this year with no warning.  We cut our trip short and brought it to the dealer where we bought it.  They said there was a problem with air getting into the system, so they bled it out and said it was now ok.  The next ride the #### thing overheated again!  I looked at the coolant bottle and the top looked a little warped.  I put on a new radiator cap and haven't had a problem since.  Maybe this info will help out somebody.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a friend with an 02 700SP and he has had no trouble . My 02 600 SP has given me no trouble either and it has been a terrible winter here in Maine with little snow. Although, I have heard of problems with different model XC's with overheating trouble for 2002. The dealer I purchased from called me on 3-8 and asked me if I experienced overheating trouble with mine. He said polaris is sending the parts to dealerships for an update. I understand it consists of an additional heat exchanger to be plumbed into the rear of the chassis, and 2002 owners will be receiving a letter from Polaris soon. About the 700's blowing up, every weekend a group of us get together on a river here in Maine to drag race ,we run about 2,500' back and forth all day long wide open, on days as cold as -10 and as warm as 45 deg. There are two 02 700's, two 02 600's, an 02 500, an 02 800 and some ski dooos not worth mentioning. None of the 02 polaris's have had any trouble.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The rad cap has been the cause of most of these sleds over heating 2001 and 2002 both years.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The overflow bottles strip where the cap tightens on and don't seal properly if you take your cap on and off a few times. I have seen themostats come apart blocking off the circuit to the heat exchangers and causing the coolant to only flow through the engine block. I even found a plastic bag in the head of  a 700 blocking off the flow to the rest of the system! But most overheating was caused by lack of snow. When I see hyfax melted to the track clips and dirt and gravel in the suspention don't say the snow conditions were fine.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Go to www.hardcoresledder.com he has a whole section devoted to this problem......Polaris is fitting many of these machines with a new add on heat exchanger, adjusting the TPS to about 3.75 volts, fixing the coolant tank seal problem, and installing a longer snowflap to keep the dust under the machine. Hope this answers your questions.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Check your snoflaps Polaris guys.  Supposedly the earlier '02 models flaps were too short and not keeping enough snow in the tunnel for the exchangers.  Supposedly Polaris is contacting owners and offering the longer flaps.

My buddy overheated his '02 ProX 'cause he left it idle while we were trying to get other buddy's Yammi started (but that's another story).  He thought he blew it up, but took it to the dealer and they bled the system rightaway and we were off....major kudos to TIM at JOLINS in Boulder Junction, WI, what an awesome tech.  Not afraid to talk to us and fill us in on some tuning tips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts