Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I aquired this nice but older panther, I am not sure what year it is for sure and also there is no carb on it, I know its a 340 w/electric start.. If anyone can give me specifics and also get me in touch with a carb for it I would appreciate it greatly..

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
motor[/b]
Somewhere on the engine fan housing should be a sticker with the engine code on it. By looking at it I would guess Kawasaki engine, so that would make it 1975 or older, if it turns out to be a Suzuki engine it would be a 1976 or newer. If you find the plate, report what it says and we'll figure out a year and carb for it.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
ok, I have a close pic of motor tag[/b]
OK, it's a Kawasaki and probably had a Walbro WD or WF carb on it. I'm at work right now and don't have access to my manuals, I'll get back to you tonght.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Looks to me to be a '73, which did have the Kaw in it....

Oh....just saw the 2 previous posts....took a time out to get coffee and you guys were all over it......lol :crazy:

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
OK, it's a Kawasaki and probably had a Walbro WD or WF carb on it. I'm at work right now and don't have access to my manuals, I'll get back to you tonght.[/b]
My best guess now (same as raceguy) is that it's a '73 and it came with a WALBRO WDA 31 carb, almost any Tillotson HD or Walbro carb will bolt up to that manifold and work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, I just got a carb from the guy I got it from, he wasnt sure if it was the right one, I believe it is as it bolts right up to it, it says TILLOTSON HD 38A I completely tore it down and cleaned it and reassembled it, I have a few questions first.
  1. 1. Is this the correct carb ?
    2. How many turns on the needles ?
    3. Do I have to pre mix gas (what ratio if so?)
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
741 Posts
If it bolts up it should work,although I don't remember the 73 (first sled dad bought) had the fuel filter on the bottom of the carb. I remember having to replace the inline filter. It is a 73. If that one doesn't work I should have a few at my cabin. Should be able to get one to work. Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
seems to be a difference in 73-74 but both had different Setups from the looks of it on Arctic cats Parts fische......You work for county, have someone run the old registration numbers from the side... bring up exact year from records...You should prolly also download Aol AIM....lol

Good find though. I wish i would have brought my old el tigre back from the dead just for the fun of it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, couple more questions for you guys and gals

I have four barbed outlet/inlets on the carb, where do they go ??

Bottom one is primary in for gas ?

Little babrbed one after the throttle plate is primer ??

Other 2 barbs im stumped, but I have a hose coming off the motor and 2 coming from the gas tank, 1 is primary the other is return I think !!

Also I think there is some wiring issues if someone has a diagram or knows the wire colors as to where they go I would also appreciate it also..

Thanks

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
ok, I just got a carb from the guy I got it from, he wasnt sure if it was the right one, I believe it is as it bolts right up to it, it says TILLOTSON HD 38A I completely tore it down and cleaned it and reassembled it, I have a few questions first.
  1. 1. Is this the correct carb ?
    2. How many turns on the needles ?
    3. Do I have to pre mix gas (what ratio if so?)
thanks[/b]
Carb should work, it's off a 1971 Rupp, you'll have to work the choke by hand, I don't see a bracket for the cable. If you hook up the primer line it will start quicker. Inline filter is good.
Low speed needle 1 turn out
High Speed needle 1 1/4 turn out
go from there, warm it up and go + or - 1/8 turn and see what works best.
Oil/gas mix 40:1

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, I have the carb all mounted up and looking like everything is going good but no spark now. I have pulled plugs and checked with key on and off, kill switch in both on and off, I have a feeling the guy I got it from had messed with some of the wiring.. I have also replaced them with new ones..

If anyone can help me out with the wiring and what to check as far a voltage ohms continuity etc I would appreciate it..

I know this sled ran a couple years back and was sitting in his barn since..

Thanks

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
well, I have the carb all mounted up and looking like everything is going good but no spark now. I have pulled plugs and checked with key on and off, kill switch in both on and off, I have a feeling the guy I got it from had messed with some of the wiring.. I have also replaced them with new ones..

If anyone can help me out with the wiring and what to check as far a voltage ohms continuity etc I would appreciate it..

I know this sled ran a couple years back and was sitting in his barn since..

Thanks[/b]
Early Cats had a throttle safety switch, if there is no pressure on the cable (too loose) it kills the ignition. Try to give it a little gas and pull to see if you have spark or wedge a little screwdriver in the throttle lever and try it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
YZ
This is crazy, but I just brought a 1974 Panther 440 and a 1973 Rupp back to life. Let me know if you need pictures of things so you know how they go together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts