Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, have clutches changed a lot over the years (lets just speak of secondarys for now)?  The reason I ask is because i'm having problems with my 75 tnt 340 fan.  The sled winds up around 30 mph.  I put a new belt on it.  Didn't help.  I ask the very first question because I noticed that the belt does NOT sit flush with the top of the secondary, as a matter of fact it sits at least a quarter of an inch down into the secondary.  Should it be sitting flush with the secondary?  Also, I noticed the clutch appears to be semi-open (causing the belt to sit so low), is this just spacers in the secondary that need to be removed?  Will I have any problems disassempling this clutch without any special tools or is this thing under a lot of load?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm not sure about this but I think the belt is suppose to be about 1/4-1/2 " inside. My bro had a 75 340 olympic and that is where it was. He was able to get 80-85 kph out of it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm..
There seems to be ALOT (more than 2") of belt deflection and the motor is moved up as far as possible to try and eliminate this.  I know it is the right belt for this sled.  The sled red lines and winds up around 30 mph.  Can't be healthy for the motor to ride it like that.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
i had the same probleme with a everst 440. The spacer on the inner plate was out of place causing the secondary not to close. took  10 min to take apart and i got a good used plate for 15$ Fixed the probleme right away ! and it stopped overheating and the belt came back to place about 1/8 over.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should be asking how many rpm's should I be turning at top end?  When the sled sounded like it was winding up it seemed like the tach (which I just put in, the sled didn't have one when I got it) was around 7,000 rpm.  I think the tach is working.  Does this seem right?  I'm guessing I should be doing probably around 50 mph at 7,000 rpm, yes, no?
?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts