Snowmobile World banner

76 cheetah wiring problem

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  puree 
#1 ·
I have a 76 cheetah 500, everytime i put a headlight in and start it the light gets bright as hell and burns out, switch to the other beam and it does the same. this only happens when you rev it up, when it idles the bulb is normal brighness or dim... when i get it running and rev it up it gets about 30 volts to one wire and 15 to the other measuring between the brown ground/common wire and the blu and the white wires for high and low beam.
why am i getting voltage to both of these at once, and why is it burning these bulbs out? I think the taillight is also burnt out, lens screws are rusted so ive left it so far, but a burnt out taillight shouldnt cause the headlight to burn out should it?

The sled only has about 500 miles on it, it has sat in a barn for the last 15 years..... everything is in pretty good shape.... I cant figure this out and i don't know that much about sleds

please help!

-jAkE in MI

See less See more
#3 ·
is there any way I can test the voltage regulator? It is a square bridge-rectifier looking think in a metal package, hole though the center, bolts to frame, with a brown and yellow wire going into the back of it. the brown wire shows a short to the case, 0 ohms when measuring between it and the frame.

#5 ·
Change the voltage regulator. Think about it, you are dealing with
a sled that is reaching 30 years old. If the voltage regulator is original
it's more than likely faulty.
You should also tend to the other wires in the ele. system.
Do you have ele. start?
Take a look at the whole electrical system.
Did you check your ground wire?.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.