Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking for some help, just picked up a 76 everest and i have no spark from the coils. I seem to have power from the mag to both coils but nothing at the plugs. What do i check next. Im new to vintage sleds. This is a points system.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Make sure your grounds are good on the coils and the motor, wires and connectors are clean and nothing is melted and shorting out wires ( check the whole harness pay close attention around the exhaust ) check for taped joints if you have any make sure they are good connections, look for cracks in the wires where they come out of the crank case, after that use a tester and check the kill switch and then the key switch, I don't remember if these had a tether on them or not if so test it to. Hope this helps

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I got the sled to run by changing out the points. Now i just have to work on the carb to keep it running. It runs when you prime ot but then stalls out. I have rhe carb torn apart and soaking in some cleaner now. It is a tillotson carb, totally different than what im use to.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Those early 70's doos with tillotson carbs - we would have to put in a new gasket kit every fall. Eventually we didn't even try to start them without putting in new gaskets and needles first!!

If you see any kind of indentation in the rubber on the needle just replace it.

dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice guys, looka like i should juat start with a rebuild kit. I will let you know how it turns out. Dennis kirk has a kit for under $30.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts