Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying this sled from a guy. I have not seen the sled in person(only pictures). It is in very nice shape. I'm getting the thing for $100!! Can't pass this up!

He tells me that the motor is good, but it has an electrical problem. He went on to tell me that there is spark sometimes, but he doesn't know much about motors. He thought that it might be the cdi??

Does this sled have cdi, points? I'm tinking it might be a very easy fix. I know nothing about the exciter, and would appreciate any info. I am just trying to get a heasd up before I get it.- if nothing else, I can part it out. everything looks very nice on this sled.

Thanks for the info!

D

·
10,054 Posts
if its got a cdi and it has been shorted out, then the cdi wouldnt spark at all right??? I had spark with my liquifire and we ruled the cdi out because if it was toast, we would not have had any spark at all,,,, turned out mine was the low speed windings on the stator were bad. It has high speed and low speed windings and when I turned it over hard and the high speed windings would kick in, it would start and it would stay running if I kept it above 3grand,,, but when it got below that, the low speed windings would kick in and there wasnt enough spark to keep it going,,,,

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I'm assuming that the stator is behind the flywheel as it should be. Now, are the low and high speed windings separate? Can one be changed, or do they both have to be changed because they are on one unit? Assuming that this is the problem.

D

·
10,054 Posts
I would assume it depends on the type of stator you have. Mine looked like the new cat ones and the motor from mine was the old ccw, not the kawi. They are wrapped together and you can not change just one, you would have to do both. I did some trading and got a good used one. I took a meter along with me and checked it out before I left and it was good.
It is behind the flywheel, which makes it fun to work with,,,,
I dont know the readings for the exciter, but the deere was like .71 ohms on the high speed windings and 2.7kohms on the low speed,,, I was getting .69 on the high and .70 on the low,,,, the new one reads .71 dead on for the high and 2.69 for the low,,,,
I also checked the lightning coil as it was tied in here also,,, and it was supposed to read less than 1 ohm between the two and it did .3 I believe,,,

thats my experiance with them

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man! We'll see what happens.

I feel like I should put your last signature on my signature.(upset wife) When I told her I was getting another sled, let's just say that she wasn't impressed!

Anyway, I still have to get the sled and it's at the bottom of the state, and I'm at the top. DOH!!!!

Thanks for the help, we'll figure it out.

D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts