Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a 76 skidoo 340tnt fa for 30$ the guy said the engine is froze up i brought it home squirted a little oil in the clyinders and worked it for a minute or two and bang its free and has compression i did got it running yet but until then anybody ever had 0ne are they fast ?chick sleds ?or what any info would be great  i have a 75 tnt 440 fc are they comparable performance wise? thanks

·
Registered
858 Posts
I don't know if it's anything like the Olympic 340 which we had, it could go to 80 kph (50 mph). Great cottage sled, good susp. for the time (olympic is slide rail, not sure what tnt is ), light and fun to drive, very maneuverable. Make sure all susp. parts are free moving, sometimes the aluminum shafts get corroded and stuck in rear susp. arms. 30 $ is a very good price, you can make at least 10X that if you would sell the parts seperatly but those sleds are really worth keeping, motor lasts forever as well as steel frame.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this sled show 540 miles on odometer spedo read 100 mph or160klh it is a slide suspention  i did some thing real stupid yesterday i squirted a little gas in the plug hole to help clean out the oil i put in to free it up and left onr of the spark plug wires laying on top uf the head and pull the rope and guess what its got fire the top of the engine was on fire the belly pan was on fire but i put it out quick thank god no damage i would hate to think i killed a vintage sled i could not live with my self lol

·
Registered
685 Posts
corvette77: Are you sure it,s a 76 F.A., Skidoo built the 250-340 R.V. that year. What does it look like, the 73-74 had yellow, white and black hoods and the 75 was orange. Then they went to 77 with a yellow and black hood. Dino

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
build date on tag says sept 1976 so it is probley a77 it has a yellow and black hood

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey dino you ever have one are they quick i know its a realy cool old sled i always liked the big air scoop look on the fa's and the big fins one the heads realy cool lookin

·
Registered
685 Posts
corvette77: I owned a 74 340 F.A. and a 77 R.V. I think that they would run about 60-65 mph. Does your sled have a single carb? if it does than it will be a 77. Dino

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got the motor freed up good but the rings seem to be stuck is there a good way to free them up with out tearing it down got great compression on one side weak on the other i looked through plug hole and piston is not blown any ideas or suggestions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts