Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New plugs and a little adjustment and the sled starts pretty well even cold. But when it is cold, when it first starts, and for awhile after, it smokes a lot from underneath the engine. If I give it gas the engine bogs but if I slowly open the throttle it will rev.

The only way to get it moving is to let it warm up then ease up the rev and back off a few times until it catches and moves the track. Once it gets moving it rides fine.

The mixture screw is set a couple of turns out to get the best idle and performance but it feels a little loose.

If this sounds familiar to anybody, what do you think is wrong and how can I fix it? Thanks,

FrostyGeorge

·
Registered
686 Posts
I suspect your jetting is not right. The mixture screw should be out 1 turn. Main jet should be 240 for low altitude and low temps or 250 at sea level below -10C. Main jet can go up to 210 depending on altitude and temperature. What altitude are you at?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Since it ran better in the past, before resorting to jetting I introduced a good douse of Seafoam into the fuel and after a couple days of ice fishing workouts pulling a load it took a better adjustment on the mixture, close to the one turn setting. I think the next thing will be to clean and get the enrichment needle to seat better with a squirt of Seafoam in case that is stuck open so I can fully adjust the mixture which should affect the smoking problem.

I don't have a garage so I won't be doing any serious carb cleaning in below zero wather. I will keep the jeting info you gave handy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just rebuilt mine - honed the jugs (no new rings or anything), put in new seals.....threw it into an enticer 300 chasis, jetted to 220 on the main and it goes like a scared rabbit.....not sure what the pilot jet is.....smoke isn't necessarily a bad thing either - check your belt while your at it, that can cause bogging off the start and again, that pilot jet. Give the carb the old clean-a-roo too. My son's ET250 was boggy off the start and it was a belt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts