Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i have the chance to trade my 87 xlv540 for 2 79 exciter 340s has any body had one are they good reliable sleds they are in excellant shape and both only have 600 original miles my friend wife and my sister inlaw need sleds would these be good sled for them we ride a lot of trails that are rough at best are they pretty stable on an less than level trail please let me know i will probly get them anyway because they are in sweet condition but would still like you opinion thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got a '79 440 Exciter.  My father-in-law has got a '78 340 Exciter.  They're both very reliable sleds.  Pleanty of power and top out between 70-75mph.

They're stable and very easy to ride for a beginner.  But, they're gonna beat the crap out of you on the rough stuff.  There's almost no suspension travel, so expect a whole lotta soreness after a day of riding.

If you get 'em, at least throw some hand and thumb warmers on them to keep their paws toasty.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Originally posted by cthomp21@Jan 6 2002, 09:29 PM
I've got a '79 440 Exciter.  My father-in-law has got a '78 340 Exciter.  They're both very reliable sleds.  Pleanty of power and top out between 70-75mph.

They're stable and very easy to ride for a beginner.  But, they're gonna beat the crap out of you on the rough stuff.  There's almost no suspension travel, so expect a whole lotta soreness after a day of riding.

If you get 'em, at least throw some hand and thumb warmers on them to keep their paws toasty.
super reliable...lots of parts at your local dealer.......LIGHT...aluminum tunnel....LIGHT....NO SUSPENSION to speak of....great cottage sled....great bush bashing sled....it will kill you on the whoops. oh that 3 inches of suspension will have to be serviced every year....thats a 4 hour job at least. The first time could be a days job. If you can find a 250 single from the same time frame even better.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd have to agree with everyone here.
I had a 1977 440 exciter and a 1980 340 enticer. Both these sleds where very realiable.
My biggest mistake was selling the 440. I told this story before... I bought it from a local television station that had used it for two commercials. Total kms when I bought it was around 100 to 150 kms. It was a 1977 and I bought it with that milage around 1990 - 91. Used it for about 4 or 5 years, and never had to dump major coin into it, just your regular wear and tear... Great sleds.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had a 1976 STX 440 back in 1995 bought it with 1300km on it it was supper clean and very fast for a old sled....it is basically the same as the ex 440.........great sleds.......sold it after the season for $400 canadian with a cracked hood which I did.......DOH!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts