Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 79' Exciter 440. Basically stock under the hood except I premix and run iridium plugs. Last year it started to loose power in deeper snow, I can put the throttle to the handle bars and it won't make any where near it's RPM's. A real momentum killer. But as soon as i get it back out on the trail or shallower snow it will go like snot. I'm running a shorter track and rear suspension from what I believe to be an 82ish Phazer so i need all the bite and power I can get when I'm in the fields. If it were a carb problem it would act up all the time, wouldn't it? I've got questions about long tracking it, but if i can't get this fixed there's no point. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check your compression, drive belt, and clutches. If your compression is good, I'd say your clutches need to be cleaned. And possibly a new drive belt, or clean the sides of yours with dish soap and an S.O.S. pad if yours is glazed. If you haven't cleaned your carb in a season or two, it wouldn't hurt to do that either.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'll check the tension on the track first. The belt looks good, might try the scotch pad idea though.
It's good when i'm in alot of snow just playing around, doing hard turns and just beating on it really, but when start riding in the deep stuff, continuously, it starts acting up. It's got the phazer rear because my father in-law had an old phazer with a blown seal and and smashed up hood, so it was no good. It had a new 3/4" more agressive track on it and i thought i'd put it on, as compared to my straight 1/2" worn track. i was young and stupid so i didn't realize it was a different length until we learned there was no way we were gonna get the adjuster in far enough to fit the track. So we combined both supsension's, modified the tunnel and mounting brackets and voulet' a new shorter track. It hauls off the line but doesn't go as fast, and it's hopeless in the powder. Rides rough too.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys. i was out for about a 30 mile ride today and my Excitier is still acting up. I inspect the belt and it looks fine, and I took the track tensioning bolts about about 1 1/2 turns. I rode in a mixture of situations: deep snow, trails, and following someone elses path. The sled is perfect until i take it in the deep stuff. then it won't consantly hold the RPM's. It digs really good in it until it starts acting up, then i just can't get any speed out of it at all. My Father in-law's indy destroys me and i can normally keep up. Might i add he punches his to aboput 7K and all i can get out of mine is 5K. Any one have any other suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts