Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what skidoo e-mailed me back on the lean mid-range problem in our sleds let em know what you think of this

Mr. Jaillet,

Thank you for contacting Bombardier Recreational Products.

Our technical advisor has offered this advice about your 2002 MXZ 800:

- run with factory jettings and timing; use premium octane fuel
- use 50% - 50% water to antifreeze liquid
- make sure the antifreeze is over the full line on the bottle
- make sure to use BR9ECS spark plugs
- if you choose to go with the new needle and the new spring the temp should go lower since the motor will rev lower.
- It could be good idea to put the new optional grill in the front to lower the inside hood temp.

Trusting that this information will respond adequately to your concerns,

Sincerely,

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
not a very good response. They think the temp SHOULD go down, sounds like a guess to me. And trust me the vents they hacked into my 03 800 gade were NOT optional. I have since closed them off.

·
Registered
310 Posts
EVERY e-mail I send bombardier comes back JUST LIKE THIS EVERYTIME. here is one. They never give me any actual help.

Mr. Norris,

Thank you for contacting Bombardier Recreational Products.

You may ask your dealer to call Bombardier's after-sales technical staff to get assistance in repairing your snowmobile. Our technical team has the expertise that your dealer may need.

Here is the list of 3 Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Dealerships
closest to your location:
Dealer #1 is 3.3 miles from YourLocation
Map | Directions
WEST-PORT MARINE
135 MAIN ST.
WESTBROOK ME, 04092 US
Tel: 207-854-9925
Fax: 207-854-9928
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web Site

Dealer #2 is 15.2 miles from YourLocation
Map | Directions
RICHARDSON'S BOAT YARD
850 ROOSEVELT TRAIL
WINDHAM ME, 04062 US
Tel: 207-892-9664
Fax: 207-892-9365
Web Site

Dealer #3 is 16.7 miles from YourLocation
Approximate Map | Directions
WILLS & SONS SPORT CENTER, INC
172 PARKER FARM RD
BUXTON ME, 04093 US
Tel: 207-727-3503
Fax: 207-727-4843
Web Site

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they think it is a heat problem then why are they not sending a notice to all sled owners about this , can you say recall and fix it :angry:

·
Registered
328 Posts
hey permafrost, why did you close the vent off? I ask because I see you have ridden this year. I had the same vent put on my 02.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
You let them doo that to your 02. When did they doo it this season or last? The reason I closed it off is that my engine compartment will fill with powder, and also let water in. I doo alot of water running so this is very detrimental for me. If the 03 800 HO summits dont need them then why does my gade.
here is a pic. I think i am gonna make a new left cover that is tighter.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
I just had it done a week ago. I decided I would try it because I have a lot of problems with my pipe heat shields busting a part. I don't know if it is from a lot of excess heat or what so I had them do it. It does look like snow would come in. I thought they would have closable vents for it. If anything I think it looks kind of neat.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I never heard anything about this. Does anyone have any pictures of theirs done without being covered up? Id like to check this out.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
296 Posts
permafrost, where is the grille? i cant see it in the pic.....is it a update, does this grill have a pn?
the spring and needle update should make this machine slower???i hope not!!!
i thought they are leaning it out a bit for better gas mileage, whats peoples opinions on this/??

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have been hearing about this midrange problem for a year, has anyone ever melted down or is this just a freek problem in peoples minds, I changed my needle to the 942 in my 02 800 HMX RER but I have a RKTech head so it might have solved the problem, by the way I'm using 450 mains with no problem. I beat big bore 740 99 Summit with a 136" track, dunoed 150 HP 101 ft. lbs torque, tuned by a pro, so I know this machine rocks. It is F/S.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The mid range lean condition is real. The flaking moly ring problem is reel. And the shrinking piston problem is real.

Sounds lke the way to fix it is to fix it yourselfs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have sent SKI-DOO another e-mail regarding the answers they gave me ,will post it when i get a response from them (skidoo) :angry:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I noticed that same grill on the 03 gades. Personaly, I think it looks stupid. Talk about ingesting snow! I bet after a few powder rides and you will need to shovel out the front of your bellypan! :angry:

·
Registered
158 Posts
The 03 mx i looked at today also had some shielding removed from the pipe and a donut gasket from the pipe to the y-pipe.Something about the pipe running to hot is why they put the vents in.Also no boost bottle to maintain better carb calibration?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am currently talking with bombi on this issue. My dealer calls up the tech department and the say put the skid plate on just move the rivits location.....I don`t like it.... so I call Bombi and they say do not cover it up, cut the lip of your skidplate, they say the vent is designed so that the snow will stay out.....Right :angry:
I told them I was not qualified to do this and the dealer should do this...hehehe :p Then I asked why the other machines don`t have this and also what happens if I cover it up....still waiting for a answer...hmmmm :cussing:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Did this grill come on anything other than the 600ho in zx chassis for 03? Having it put on my sled I figured it would not hurt anything. I always carry a roll of duck tape with me so if I need to close the grill off I can just tape it shut. I had to cut the lip off my x-team skid plate too.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Im sorry guys. This is exactly the reason I got the 600Ho instead of the 800. Rotax makes good motors, probably the best 2 stroke 4 strokes in the industry. But this 800 twin is not part of that family. I have seen first hand the problems with this motor, and now I am hearing problems with the 03 that havent even been ridden yet. You can never get a clear answer from skidoo about this motor (probably because they dont have any yet).

If I had to bet money i would say that the same people that designed this motor designed the 951cc time bomb bombardier uses in there Seadoos.

How can Bombardier put a vent on the front of a machine that is designed to run in powder, and marketed to run in powder. And there is no way to design a vent so snow doesnt go in, it always finds a way in.

I suggest that we once again hammer bombardier with more letters demanding a fix or solution to this problem or this 800 saga will continue for ever. All we need to do is figure out what we want them to do.

They should have gotten rid of the 800 in 2001 and replaced it with a single pipe 809 triple zx renegade or MXZ. But becasue the 809 weights 10lb or somthing more its old. You would not have the fuel consumption problems, the moly ring problems, the heat problems, the rough idle problems and the list goes on.

IMO Skidoo should handle this like Ford did with Firestone tires. They should replace the engine with a brand new updated model.

I bet the only reason skidoo didnt just go and redesign the 800 engine is to avoid angering the 2001 customers becasue there is no reason this engine should have made a comeback in 02.

I know some of you are having luck with your 800, and you are just that, Lucky. But do you really think you will get the kind of milage from that engine like you would a 500 twin or 600twin. I dont.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Well i hope your unproven 600 HO is good for you marty. I myself steer away from first year releases as I dont want to be the guinea pig. I owned a 01 and a 02 800 and there was a bunch of other 800's in our group. No one broke down or never failed to get to their next destination in two years. What did blow up on us was a couple of mach z's. The 800's you are hearing about are the unlucky ones as with all brands. These people are vocal because they are having problems. I dont blame them if i had problems i would speak out too. The only problems we had was pin holes in the tuned pipe a melted vent and some blue flames, cool.

The new vents only come stock on 03 renegades 600HO and 800. I guess bombi feels that we are the craziest riders of all and need them as they dont come on 03 summit 800 HO's.

Mxzx1 what colour is your belly pan ? Doo you wanna trade?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts