Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My machine is still a peice of s**t. Talked to a dealer down south yesterday evening trying to figure it out. There's that much fuel going thru it that the fuel squeezes up from the spark plugs, espicially the PTO side, and covers the heads and sprays the belt/ clutches. Anyway. He informed of a new "update" on the 800 Summits which involved re-jetting and remapping the computer. It was released to dealers late last week but not out to us poor slobs who suffer with this until the new update for all the other 800's is revealed. Today I phoned my dealer and was told the same with the exception that it is to be released Tuesday or Wendsday. It involves jets and the computer. Took long enough for Ski-Doo to swing into action.
 Figure problem with mine is the carb itself. One was ordered for it 3 weeks ago but Ski-Doo has none in stock. Wonder where they all went? Dealer has another 800 there that she KNOWS works so they'll pull that set off for me as a last resort.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Bobber, I just got back from a week long trip in northern ontario. One of the guys riding with us had a 02 mxz 800 with d.p.m. Every time we filled up he used $6-$7 more than my 583. He also used about 7 litres of oil in 1200 km. We stopped at a dealer in Timmins and they told us they knew what the problem was. Apparently Ski-doo has a problem with hose clamps on the carbs which causes the D.P.M. hoses to fall off and cause the sled to run really rich. They fixed the problem in about 30 mins and for the rest of the trip he only used about dollar more in gas and a lot less oil. I hope this helps you a bit

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate that! definetly something else to have fine look at. Mine is going down Friday for some work.On Sat and Sunday its going to the Anzac Winterfest and have the bej****s ran out of it. Keep you posted on both.... ah... unless its a real fiasco of course ya know.

·
Administrator_X
5,122 Posts
Also check for pinholes in the hoses where they slip on the DPM manifold. They aren't real obvious, so look hard. Mine gets nearly the exact same milage as the 01 and 02 Polaris 800's that I rode with all weekend (10.5 MPG). It's using some extra oil, but I'll live with that for another couple hundred miles before I adjust down a little. Keep your chin up. When it's finally running right, you'll be glad you stuck with her and you'll be grinning ear to ear. Guaranteed!!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I feel sorry for you guys with the 800 twins.  Bombardier is having a lot of problems with it.  I just heard from one of the engineers that they dont know whats causing the problems.  Its not that they just dont know how to fix it.   All these updates and recalls are just temporary.  

Just hang on the moment the engineers figure a way to make them run solid you guys will get it right away..

·
Registered
100 Posts
I GUESS I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE HAVING TROUBLE.I HAVE A 2001 800 AND I CAN'T EVEN BEAT A MXZ 700 WITH IT.THE FACTORY HAD BETTER GET IT'S ACT TOGETHER BECAUSE THE NEW ZR 900 IS STARTING TO LOOK AWFULLY GOOD.WHAT IS THE USE OF THE FACTORY COMING OUT WITH UPDATES AT THE END OF THE SEASON.MY SLED IS BONE STOCK AND SO WAS MY BUDDIES 700.SHOULD HAVE KEPT MY TRIPLE.HOPE YOU GUYS WITH THE 800 TWINS HAVE BETTER LUCK THAN I DID.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Idooski.  You should take your sled to Valcort and let them carbon copy it.

Its to bad not everyones sled runs that good.  

Headgasket.  Instead of going to cat go to the MACH.  A 809 triple in a ZX.  What a sleeper.

·
Registered
100 Posts
MACHZZZZ1,I hope your right about that new triple.i think it would soothe alot of peed off twin owners right now.my 8   twin is a great handling sled but needs a little more go up top.still not sorry i bought it though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
my 2001 800 runs good  I have done some small mods nothing spechial.

must admit to being real impressed with a couple of polaris 800s

I was on a search and rescue mishion this weakend and the snow was real deep

my 800 sumit was one of only a few sleds capeable of breaking trail.

but ther were 2 polaris rmk with 156 track  that had been modified
exstensively ( light weight parts galore )  

those 2 sleds were awsome .

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
MY 800 got about 9 MPG before it was broken in after the recall, but once it did and the DPM started to act correctly, I got between 10 and 11. The performance is good also. Take your time and get everything working correctly. Balance the carbs, check the air acrews, are the carbs opening all the way?

Then the obvious, clutching. Is it aligned, deflection, belt condition. There are also things like track tension that have a major effect on mileage and performance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My sled arrived in August and it runs fine. Did the 10hr service with new plugs and clean raves as well as kept the carb warmer off last weekend and it ran much crisper. Figured just over 10mpg and one litre of oil per tank of gas.

Other than smoother power and top end I don't know that a Triple 800 in an MXZ will reach the top end you might expect given the drag resistance created by the sc10III track geometry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2001 mxz 800 standard (trail-no dpm), had the recall done in October. I have ridden over 2000 miles. I usually ride with a 99 Formula Z 500. Depending on conditions I will use about 2 or 3 liters more gas than the 500. Oil use is about 1 liter in 150 miles. The sled works excellent (could use more top end). Last year I ran without studs and got it up to 115 mph on speedometer. This year I added 192 studs and B&B trail silencer and  cannot get much over 105 on top. My sled seems to be harder on gas than last year but with different snow conditions it is hard to tell. I am considering a clutch kit but don't know if it is worth the tuning hassle.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Just came back from a 4 day trip to cochrane there was four 02 mxz800's , one 02 mxz700 and one mach z. Once again this year we had a dead machz half way through the trip. We put on over a thousand kliks and all the twins ran flawlessly. We got around 140 kilks to a tank of gas ,(could be better) and 350kliks for a half a tank of oil. We broke trail through 4 feet of powder  for at least 500 kliks on the renegades, not even a blown belt. The only one i feel sorry for is the mach z  guy once again this year. He is goin to spring order a renegade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey bobber, we got the update on Feb 11.  The sled is much snappier and got 115mh on the lake...BUT......it is still dumping fuel into the canister (which glows after about 5 minutes of hard riding which is exactly how my honey rides all of the time)..the hood is actually caving in from the heat (it is resting on the plug wires) and a hole has melted through the belly pan.  Tell me that it's not running a hair hot under there.

They are going to lean out the oil and adjust the timing (again)..  Hope it doesn't blow (on second thought....)

Don't know about you but we are tired of hualing the #### thing back and forth to the dealers every week so they can try something new.

Wish Skidoo would get their thumbs out of there asses on this.  The sled handles great and is running much stronger but it having the thing melt down around your kinds sucks.

Note: I have the MXZ 600 and love it (no probs at all) ran 110 on the lake yesterday...not bad for a little stock 600!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today is the big day! Supposedly get my snowmobile fixed. New carbs and the "cap" arrived yesterday so off we go for the update. I say we 'cause my 12 yr old son is coming as well. Leaving at 5:30a.m.  but he doesn't know that yet. Should make for an interesting trip! A sleepy head and a Jack Russell terrier in the front with me! Oh joy! Teachers still on strike here so figure we could get some riding in at Grasslands as the dealer is going to loan me a machine while mine is to be worked on. Then look out. There'll be one of 2 roars heard across the nation: the wail of a DNE stinger or the wail of 1 pi##ed of Bobber! Wish me luck and give an update once we get back. Today is the only day I can ride because start another shovel outage tomorrow 'till March 5. Please oh please let the Gods be good to me! Gotta go wake Bruce up and I need all the help I need. LOL

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm up to 2400 km's on my renegade 800 and so far so good, got the needle update done and at the first inspection, got the carb remapping done. My gas millage is between 10 and 11 mpg. Still running the first belt, (like new) Only thing I changed was geared up to 24-43 from 23-43 helped mid to top end. Love the back shift that the rer secondary gives you for trail riding. Love the handling over my ck3. My only complaint is pulling it over at -30c.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts