Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 800X was just in to be fixed for some idiot taking a turn wide and wiping out my left hand front suspension ($3000+). While it was in, I told them to check out the motor for the fast idle thing where she won't idle unless you blip the choke.

Whether it is the cause or not, I don't know, but they found that the rubber coating on the reed cases was delaminating. The coating was delaminating where the reed petals rested on it, sort of squeezing out to the sides and leaving a gap where the petal is supposed to rest on it.  My question is this. How would this manifest itself in performance? Would it cause the idle to be high? Would it affect high speed? I have plenty of nerd theories, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hard to start, poor idle, poor response. Its like haveing a bad intake valve on a 4stroke. How much you would notice would depend on how bad they were.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my "01" made it very hard starting I mean like 50 pulls. Ruined my last 2 days on vacation

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, when cold it was getting pretty hard to start. I also noticed that my peak RPM's were only in the 7400 range, and I was losing bad out on the lake to my buddy on his ZR800. Maybe this weekend I can finally get the chance to test out the Goodwin clutch kit I installed at the beginning of the season and haven't had a real chance to evaluate in the single weekend I've rode so far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
had the same problem with my reeds they came apart hard to start would not ideal died in they
trail skidoo did replace them thats one good thang did not want to have to buy delta force reeds they lose power

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'm gonna take mine apart tonight for inspection by the sounds of this.I'm almost starting to wish i had my old 98 670 back
I for one am getting tired of being a ginea pig for ski doos engineers who seem to think it's acceptable to release a
sled before it is ready and to let the consumer who has paid more than $10 000 for it have to deal with it.I have no desire to have a rev just yet or any other first year project sled for that matter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts