Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up and installed my new recoil and muffler heat shield for the 800 twin. There is some sort of aluminum disc on the outside of the recoil that adds support to the center post. The new muffler heat shield rivets on in place of the old inner shield. It has a stand off attached to it that creates an air gap between the shield and the recoil which should help with the heat issue. It was easy to install. Just drill out five rivets and install the new one with five new rivets. Piece of cake!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
rotax lover

Did you actually experience a failure with the recoil?  I read about this problem in the forum earlier this year and when I questioned my dealer about it they knew nothing of it.  My recoil never failed, so does the recall still apply?  By the way you got a badass car with the super duty engine.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Is that for all 800 twins or just the '02. I started having troubles with my '01 at the end of the season. It would slip after things got warm. No problems when it was cold though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only had problems with it when it was warmed up. On a restart after riding, you would engage the recoil and when you pulled it, the thing would skip. It had to do with the plastic housing getting hot from the muffler box and distorting the center post in the recoil. I believe that all 800s are covered. 01 and 02.

Thanks for the comment concerning the car. It is a lot of fun. It is a four speed car so it has some value, being that they only produced 212 that way.

Later

1 - 4 of 4 Posts