Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help me out.
My 1982 polaris Indy 500 is having some major fuel issues, the three way splitter fuel pump located near the bottom of the motor does not want to pull any gas from the tank. There is flow from the tank, and all of the lines are brand new so what could be the problem? My dad had left the sled with some gas in the tank after 7 years. He sprayed wd40 in the cylinders every year and then I took over and got the carbs completely rebuilt, they were running off when he got the sled and it turned out that the carbs were all fouled up. So if anyone could give me a hand with this I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help me out.
My 1982 polaris Indy 500 is having some major fuel issues, the three way splitter fuel pump located near the bottom of the motor does not want to pull any gas from the tank. There is flow from the tank, and all of the lines are brand new so what could be the problem? My dad had left the sled with some gas in the tank after 7 years. He sprayed wd40 in the cylinders every year and then I took over and got the carbs completely rebuilt, they were running off when he got the sled and it turned out that the carbs were all fouled up. So if anyone could give me a hand with this I would greatly appreciate it.[/b]
if the carbs were fouled up the fuel pump may be .
replace fuel filter and clean or replace pump.
pump works off vacum of motor.

·
Registered
476 Posts
There is a fuel pick-up in the gas tank that could be plugged, check it out. More than likely the fuel pump diaphram is bad, or the pump is clogged. You can buy a new pump, big $, or your dealer or places like Dennis Kirk have fuel pump repair kits. I'd get one of those. Not clear if you have recently cleaned/rebuilt the carbs or did it 7 years ago. If it was a long time ago, the carbs need to taken apart and cleaned before you ride. Fuel lines will degrade over time, so I'd be taking all of them off and inspecting, but really, they should all be replaced. Hope this helps, let us know if you get the old 3 holer running.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If you have verified that there is fuel coming from the tank, wondering if the pulse line that goes between the crankcase and the fuel pump may be cracked/broken/pinched?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just rebuilt the fuel pump, the diaphrams were ok, same with the lines, but the three outgoing fuel lines are getting a little hard so I should replace them soon. there was some old crystalized fuel sitting on the inside of the pump but that cleaned out easy enough. Everything has been cleaned in the varsol tank and I am just waiting on some free time so I can put the pump back in. Which by the way is a pain in the ### to take out. The next step after putting the pump back in is to have someone to put a finger over the incoming gas line as I turn the motor over and see if there is any suction. The lines from the tank are all good including the one inside the tank plus I got a brand new fuel filter for it. The carbs were completely rebuilt this year by a sled mechanic, he said that there was some black stuff inside th carbs but everything was varsoled and cleaned. If this doesn't work then I'm going to throw something at it and walk away....

·
Registered
644 Posts
You probably won't feel much by checking if there is any "pull" or suction on the fuel inlet side of the pump. As has been pointed out, those lines, especially the impulse line from the case, and the fuel line from the tank, need to be perfectly intact and open, otherwise you will not be able to draw fuel. Another, often, really important detail is that these diaphragm pumps often don't work well when they are dry. Make sure it is primed just a bit so the flaps can seal better. The lines to the carbs can be old, poor and leaky until you discover the problem. The worst thing that can happen is that they will leak - obviously not desirable but not critical at this point.

One final thing is whether you have a good cylinder seal in the cylinder from which the impulse line runs. You would probaby have to have really poor compression to have a problem with that, but it is one more possibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the impulse runs from the middle cylinder and I can check the compresion on monday or tuesday but the comp. does not feel low.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If the middle cylinder has a good feel to it, then it's probably not a factor - blow-by would be the bigger problem for the pump if it is a leaky cylinder.

Diaphragm pumps like these are not very good "pullers" until they have "juice" in the system. They do work well to "hand things along" so make sure the pump has fuel in the line which feeds it.

I usually just prime the cylinders through the plug holes for two or three pulls, letting the engine rpms "pull" fuel through which they can do. It often takes two or three briefs runs from the cylinder priming to making things begin to work. The other way is to pressurize the tank enough to push fuel to, and perhaps past, the pump. Blowing into a tube sealed off, with a rag in the filler, can push fuel into the system. I would avoid high pressure compressed air!

BTW, you did put your pump back together correctly, didn't you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I did. I was working on it this morning and after I primed the cylinders twice the sled was pulling fuel pretty good, and it was turning over easy with the first few pulls after some gas was put inside each cyl. then it would get hard again, There is spark on all cyl. there is fuel to all cyl. but it still wont work, actually I had to give up early because I had to be somewhere. Im so close I can taste it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Uh oh, I'm not likeing the sound of things now. Sounds like you have been through the fuel system pretty well, and now something much more ugly may be residing inside your engine. One big problem with a 2-stroke that has been sitting for too long without running, are the crank seals. After some time they tend to glue themselves to the crank, and when you finally crank it over after that long sleep, parts of the seal tears, and you are SOL. It's really hard to get a sled statred with a bad crank seal. Hope I'm wrong on this, maybe your mechanic connection can help you do a leak down test to test the crank seals. Replacing the seals means pulling the engine and spliting the crankcase.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '89 Indy when i first pulled it out of the pole barn after setting for a long long time. What happened with mine was that oil had leaked down into the crankcase and made a big 'ol puddle at the bottom that killed any possible suction from the motor. We came on the answer by accident when we removed the lower end of the fuel pump line and started pulling her over -- a ton of oil came squirting out of the hole. The great news is that you don't have to get it all out that way as there are two drain plugs on the lower front side of the motor to drain it out. (If you have electric start - the starter will make it hard to reach them.) As soon as we did that we got great fuel flow. Hope that's it.... seals, etc. would be way less fun... Good Luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just thought of one more thing I had to do to. Did you check the line inside the tank? I had to replace mine because it completely "rotted" in the old gas at the bottom of the tank. There is also a brass filter on the end of that line that was totally plugged with varnish. I had to remove the tank, pull the fitting on the front side, dump all the chunks of line out -- yeah it was in pieces, then stick a new piece of line and the cleaned up filter back on the fitting (make sure it's long enough to get into the bottom of the tank as the fitting is a few inches up the side) -- Just trying to help. I am assuming there's a lot of similarities in our sled design forgive me if yours is way different :confused:
Good luck,
Classic

1 - 13 of 13 Posts