Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking out some values on the N.A.D.A. site and noticed that the SRV comes in 40 pounds lighter than the vmax. Does any one know why/
Caleb

·
Registered
384 Posts
i have a 84 vmax......this sled has been rode hard every year since new.its been rolled down a mountain...twice,flipped over backwards countless times and used and abused.it has close to 10 k on the motor and still shows no sign of quitting......call me biased but i would go with the vmax

·
Registered
12 Posts
The SRV is a fan motor, Vmax is liquid. The radiator, heat exchangers, etc. can make up the difference.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never paid much attention but always asummed it was a liquid the SRV that is. That would explain the difference in weight. I may just pick up the Vmax for 500-700 bucks I can't lose. A great sled to beat on low snow days and as a back up. I know it'll do every bit of 90mph.
Caleb

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Get the SRV

Fans will run better in low snow conditions,Liquids need the snow for cooling btw

had an 84 and 86

27,000 yes thousand on my 86 SRV thats why I am biased

many SRVs around here with 15+thousand kms on them

13mpg on my SRVs

80+miles per tank which is 5.8 gallons

SRVs are a dime a dozen to find used parts for compared to the Vmax 540

another reason for the weight dif is the Vmax has twin pipes.

Get the SRV

·
Registered
384 Posts
and there u have it...............buy em both lol.....................

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don't get the SRV,Now this is my opinion,I have had both in the 5yrs. I've been ridin. My first sled was a 1986 Yamaha SRV It's a pretty good sled but I didn't like it much. My dad has a 87 V-max which i will be abord this year, This sled rips,it's really fun to ride and has a lot of power!!!!!well hope this might help. The v-max will usually run better as long as it's not too warm cause it's a liquid but for low snow ridin either will prolly be ok. Like freezerburnt said the liquid needs the snow,well I see u like speed you said u wanna do 90,well thats all u gotta do,keep on it and keep it cool,lol Have fun!!!! :) :)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I f I get them they will be back up/friends ride. And for beating around the cabins till we get good snow so cooling isn't an issue.
Caleb

A

·
0 Posts
Caleb, you're gonna have to trade that ski-doo hat in on a Yammi. :p :hallo3: :hallo8:

·
Registered
836 Posts
When I got my '85 V-MAX 2 months ago, I found myself needing some additional information on the sled because it is "old" and not a lot of people are really familiar with a sled that is pretty much becoming scarce. After some time spent searching on the 'net, I found this site,

http://vintagevmax.8k.com

There is some information on the '80's V-MAX's and SRV's. There is a decent amount of information there, but not enough to answer all my questions, but then again, that is why they have a forum.

Maybe this will help a bit since most of the guys that visit that site all own 80's V-MAX's.

Snow-Drift

·
Registered
349 Posts
The SRV is a great sled as is the vmax540, but if you want less headaches go with the SRV the are reliable and have great power for a 540 fan motor, they are great in deep snow to throw around and parts are still available for them. I have a little site dedicated to the SRV which has a good message board with lots of info http://www.srv540.iwarp.com I am always looking for any ads or picture with the SRV in them,even old articles would be great!!!!!!!!!
cheers!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I picked up a mint 97 ultra spx so my brother is going to buy the 83 vmax and 84 srv possibly. I thnk he may sell them or rideone this winter. Guess he wishes he kept his 96 vmax 600 xt now lol. I'll have him read all these posts on them, thanks everyone.
Caleb

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
SRV540 thanx for the pic

Is that the 87 or 88?

My 86 looked simlar but no grey(orange instead) and my 84 had blue and red graphics on black

Darn I miss my ole SRV :D

Great looking sled then and still looks great today :D :devil: :inlove:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
SRV in Ice

·
Registered
349 Posts
Freezerburnt!!!!! whats the story behind this picture??????? poor SRV owner.........that would really suck. That picture is of my 1989 SRV 1990-91 went to the blue colors....

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I got that pic from a guy 2yrs ago :p

Apparently the SRV got slushed(stuck in slush) and he had to wait till the slush froze too get it out :nervous:

That happens here each year,get warm temp slush build up and you are stuck in 2 feet of slush and the only thing you can do is wait till it freezes and come back with a hatchet and ics picks :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts