Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of any available upgrades that are still available out there for an '85 V-MAX 540? I'm really looking towards the rear suspension. I want to put a 1" track under it, but the tunnel appears as if it will cause rubbing problems, (evident of old track.) I'm guessing the suspension needs adjusted as well. I'm guessing it could get to the point where I would have to "engineer" some pieces of my own, but I would like to see what is available first. I just acquired this sled for $600. The engine and clutch were just rebuilt, and starts on the first pull. Paint is shiny, hand warmers still work, and the seat isn't torn. I figured if it doesn't do much for me in the way of sledding this winter, the engine will make for a REALLY NICE desert dune buggy engine next summer. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Snow-Drift

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I know a guy wanting to sell me a '83 vmax and '84 srv. they were great sleds, light and fast. You'll want to find who makes the widening kit for the front end first. The rear will need rebuilt or new shocks. I believe a company makes a kit to raise the rear some but I can't remember the name.
Caleb

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Caleb. If you can remeber who makes the kit for the rear that would sure help. I found shocks, springs, and a front end widening kit. I'm more or less just concerned about the rear first.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I'm putting a skid from a '98 ZR into my '86 Phazer. If the tunnel is the same as the Vmax, I'll have all the info you would need to do that conversion, within a month.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I'm almost done modelling the cat skit in AutoCAD. Just have the front shock and rails left. Already drew the tunnel, but I have to do the front end and skis too so I can get the ride height and angle right. Then I can assemble it all and see where my new holes/rear brackets need to be. It snowed two days ago so I really put the rush on it now. Also I want to get the sled together and out of the garage before my son's birthday party in 6 weeks. It would be done already if lightening hadn't put a two-month delay on my home computer time.
I have a track on the way. 0 mile take-off yamaha .91 for $250.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Engine's in great shape, so that's the last thing on the list to make changes to. Everything else is getting work, tho. I'll do more horsepower next off-season. Well, maybe I'll do pipe mid-season. That won't take up any riding time.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just looking at that it appears to be almost the same exact configuration as my VMAX. I'll have to go out and do a little "comparo." By the way, good work. I see you use Autocad. I use Solidworks and Autocad as well at school. Are you an engineer?

Thanks for the opportunity to share your information with me.

Snow-Drift

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Yeah, I've got a BSME. If you're using Autocad, I could send you all the files for the ETT, then you could model your tunnel and put it together how you want it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be great Performancex! I sent you and email with some info, but if you don't get it let me know.

Thanks.

Snow-Drift :D :D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts