Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we bought this sled off a friend and have yet to have it running my friend tore it all apart and couldn't figure out what was wrong and so its our turn... after tearing it apart ourselves we put it all back together to make sure everything was right. We turned it over by hand and it had excellent compression so we went through the basic ok mybe its the plugs, not it then we figured the starter was it...still nothing so i slapped on a new coil pack and still we have nothing just excellent compression and thats about it i have no idea what to do now someone help please

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Did you replace the internal coils or just the external ones? My 87 6000 had intermittent problems then finally quit completely. Turned out one of the bolts snapped off and was rattling around inside shorting out the internal coils. Pull off the recoil and take a look.

Good Luck!
dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so we r workin on it right now and are rippin parts off the other eltigre we have trying to figure it out but still nothing we took the cdi off the other one put it on this one got nothing put the original one that was on this one and put it on the working one and within one pull it started up we r pullin our hair out tryin to figure this out anyone please help! pm me or email thank you

nick

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
All I can say is to make sure you check ALL 5 of the coils (2 external, 2 internal and lighting). Pull the recoil starter and check the 'internal' coils that are buried in there. That is what went bad on mine - changing the cdi and external coils didn't make a difference to mine.

The kill switch is also notorious for going bad - bypass it and see if that makes a difference. I don't remember if you keep the circuit open or closed to get it to run - try both it won't hurt it.

There is also a little sensor right in the throttle lever that checks for cable slack. If it detects slack it thinks your carbs are frozen wide open and kills the engine - these go bad sometimes. I don't remember if this is wired into the kill switch or separate - look for a little switch behind the throttle lever on the handlebars.

If you haven't already get a shop manual for it - they are usually pretty cheap if you can find them on e-bay. I got one for mine for $10. Otherwise you can still order one from the dealer for about $30 (last time I checked). If you are spending any time digging into the engine/electrical that thing is worth it's weight in gold!

I will look at my shop manual tonight and see if it suggests anything more for you to try.
Good Luck!
dave

PS - wickedfast340 is the 'stator' and the 'internal coils' the same thing? I am not that familiar with the correct terminology...

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
A little follow-up, the 87 manual has the following steps to check for the 'No Spark at Spark Plugs' condition:
1) Ignition switch malfunctioning.
2) Wire harness shorting / disconnected.
3) Emergency stop switch in DOWN position or malfunctioning.
4) Throttle / ignition monitor switch adjusted incorrectly or malfunctioning.
5) Spark plugs fouled / damaged.
6) Spark plug caps damaged / leaking / shorting.
7) High tension wires / coil loose / grounded / defective.
8) CDI unit defective.
9) Charge coil defective.
10) Trigger coil defective.
11) Flywheel magnets weak.

I know you have already done some of these but I wanted to give the whole list for completeness.

The 3 and 4 items can be checked by unplugging the connector from the handle bar behind the throttle lever and short the two leads (closing the circuit lets the machine start). 4 is the throttle cable slack sensor I mentioned earlier. The charge coil and trigger coil are on the stator assembly behind the flywheel behind the recoil. These can be tested through the wiring harness if you can get your hands on a tester without having to dig that deeply into the engine.

That is about all I know - good luck and let me know if you figure it out!
dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well we pulled the stator off n had good Ohm on the one upper n bad on the bottom one so we had another one laying around and replaced the bad ones with good ones but in the process we screwed something else up and now have nothing anywhere.... i think we need just a whole new plate if anyone has one or knows where i can get one let me know please, and thank you dlaine for everything so far

1 - 11 of 11 Posts