Snowmobile World banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 87’ Yamaha Phazer Deluxe I picked up a couple years ago that I’m trying to fix up as a backup sled and for ice fishing. Sled is in decent condition but I’ve run into numerous problems. Initially it was running on only one cylinder. So I have replaced the plugs, cleaned both carbs, tested plug wires, replaced the gas lines and did a compression test on both cylinders in the past couple days. Plugs were both wet when fired up, compression on the clutch side cylinder was 80psi, and 100psi on the other cylinder. Carb on the clutch side was corroded due to a bad gasket and bowl cap. That has been corrected. However, after firing up the engine, I found it is still only running on one cylinder. Engine has decent compression, gas and good air flow. Am I missing something? Has anyone run into anything similar? I’m thinking could be an electrical issue, any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 87’ Yamaha Phazer Deluxe I picked up a couple years ago that I’m trying to fix up as a backup sled and for ice fishing. Sled is in decent condition but I’ve run into numerous problems. Initially it was running on only one cylinder. So I have replaced the plugs, cleaned both carbs, tested plug wires, replaced the gas lines and did a compression test on both cylinders in the past couple days. Plugs were both wet when fired up, compression on the clutch side cylinder was 80psi, and 100psi on the other cylinder. Carb on the clutch side was corroded due to a bad gasket and bowl cap. That has been corrected. However, after firing up the engine, I found it is still only running on one cylinder. Engine has decent compression, gas and good air flow. Am I missing something? Has anyone run into anything similar? I’m thinking could be an electrical issue, any thoughts?
I know this thread is old - I was cruising around for other Phazer information and ran across this site, so I thought I might chime in:

I'm certainly NO expert on 2-smoke engines, but I think a 20 psi difference in compression is indicating a bigger problem. It will probably never run right with that much difference between cylinders. In my opinion, anything under 90psi on these Phazers is a failure and needs to be looked into. It might also explain why you have wet plugs. One side is sucking in more than the other.

I'm betting you lost a ring or two. Probably corroded and stuck into the piston, or it broke a piece off (both very common). And it's no surprise you're having trouble with the PTO side. They are notorious for failure (and why I always keep extra PTO cylinders around). They get uber-hot on that site and basically nuke themselves.

I've rebuild a handful of these engines. If you don't want to dive into a complete overhaul, yanking the heads and doing a quick re-ring is pretty easy if you're mechanically inclined. Grab a top-end gasket kit and set of rings. Cheap and have it done in a few hours depending on how meticulous you are on cleaning (I'm a clean-freak myself.. lol).

PS: a GOOD quality full rebuild gasket kit is around $40 or less. Make sure it's COMPLETE. Most of them are missing at least a gasket or seal. And if you do a full overhaul - I recommend using only OEM main seals. These are the very heart of your engine, so I use factory only. I'm sure the aftermarket are OK too, but in my opinion, the amount of work to change them is worth the few extra bucks difference. Factory seals are well known to last a very long time. I think the only reason they fail is from sitting between seasons without being started once in a while.

Here's a gasket kit that has EVERYTHING you need. No missing seals. You can pick up a set of rings for around $12-$15 per side from various parts sites such as Parts Reloaded of MFG supply.

(PS: this gasket set is for a 96-98 Phazer, but it should also work on your 87):

Amazon.com: Complete Gasket Kit fits Yamaha Phazer II Mountain Lite 480 1996-1998 Snowmobile: Automotive

Cheers and good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.