Snowmobile World banner

87 Eltigre Running On One Cylinder

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dlaine 
#1 ·
I have an 87 eltigre 6000, 530 that only runs on one cylinder. when I pull the plug wire off the plug it arcs and fires the cylinder but when it is on it won't run the cylinder. Also when it is on it fires randomly, like every 8 seconds. The other one seems fine. When I switched the wires it did the same thing but opposite. I have replaced all the plugs, wires, caps, coil, cdi. Did I replace with the wrong part or what is the deal?

#2 ·
If you swapped the wires and the problem moved to the other cylinder, your plugs are fine. It could be nothing more than a faulty spark plug wire cap. It could be in the coil. If it is only 1, I would change that wire from the coil to the cap and see if it solves the problem, next would be checking the coil.

#3 ·
If you swapped the wires and the problem moved to the other cylinder, your plugs are fine. It could be nothing more than a faulty spark plug wire cap. It could be in the coil. If it is only 1, I would change that wire from the coil to the cap and see if it solves the problem, next would be checking the coil.[/b]
hows the compression. is it getting gas
:confused:

#4 ·
after re-reading your post, it states that you did change your cdi, coil, wires, and caps. I cant see if being a fuel problem as I believe that sled only has one carb,,, so to affect one side, it should affect both. Compression however could be an issue. I still think you should look over where your wire connects to the caps. I had that as an issue on an old prowler I used to have and it drove me nuts,,,, quick simple fix

#5 ·
Do you replace the internal coils as well, or just the external coils?

I was having problems where mine was running like s*&t intermittently. Really bog down and barely go, then pick up and yank my arms off. Turned out one of the bolts under the recoil starter had sheared off and was bouncing around inside grounding out the interior coils. Finally got bad enough to burn one out. Extracted the sheared bolt, replaced the internal coils and the engine is back to it's old self again (trying to leave without me). Before this I had replaced the external coils, cdi box, plug wires and caps and nothing helped (obviously - they weren't the problem).

Now I just need to replace the shocks/springs, fix the seat, replace all of the fuel lines, etc, etc and it will be good as new again! :)

dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.