Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 or 89 phazer. The sled runs great on the top end. But if I give it the gas right off the start, it won't go. It just bogs. I have to give it a little gas, probably about 1/4 throttle, till the engine picks up and then it will go. I'm curious if there is a needle jet that I can adjust or an air flow screw, something to make it not so rich on the bottom so when I punch it the sled actually goes. Granted it is a phazer and there isn't any head whippage, but it would be nice to have power all the time.

Also, the sled will not idle after it has run for a while.

I'm missing something on how to adjust the carb somewhere, and just looking for some help.

All parts are stock. Nothing special on the sled.

Thank you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 93 was doing the same thing. I was getting some blow-by past the rings. Installed new piston rings, and cleaned the carbs real good. Problem solved. I'm guessing you just need a good proper carb cleaning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 93 was doing the same thing. I was getting some blow-by past the rings. Installed new piston rings, and cleaned the carbs real good. Problem solved. I'm guessing you just need a good proper carb cleaning.[/b]

I tested the compression and I was at 105 on both cylinders. I also took the carbs off last year and soaked them in some carb cleaner. I may have to do that again, but I was curious if I'm missing something in the settings for the needle jet. i don't believe these carbs have an actual "needle jet", but they must have some sort of adjustment for the bottom?

·
Registered
41 Posts
did u try adjusting your pilot screws? turn them in till they stop, ( dont torque on em they are fragile!) and back them out 1 and a half turns. on both. if it still hesitates go in eighth turn increments. the more you turn out the richer it gets.

ive also had a worn belt, and a choke cable not seating cause a hesitation, hope this helps

·
Registered
195 Posts
Your carbs need to be cleaned at least once a season. Also, just soaking them doesn't clean them all that well. they have to be blown out with compressed air. Every port, every channel, all the holes in the jet, everything must be blown out. Also, those 3 little holes at the air intake on the carb.... HAVE to be clean and free of blockage inside or you'll definately get a low end bog. All it takes is for them to frost up (Phazers are notorious for that if the nose cone flap is left open during powder riding), or get 1 little piece of dirt in there and you're bogging on the bottom end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your carbs need to be cleaned at least once a season. Also, just soaking them doesn't clean them all that well. they have to be blown out with compressed air. Every port, every channel, all the holes in the jet, everything must be blown out. Also, those 3 little holes at the air intake on the carb.... HAVE to be clean and free of blockage inside or you'll definately get a low end bog. All it takes is for them to frost up (Phazers are notorious for that if the nose cone flap is left open during powder riding), or get 1 little piece of dirt in there and you're bogging on the bottom end.[/b]

I took the carbs off and currently have them soaking in carb fluid. They looked pretty good, but I figured it won't hurt to get anything soaked up so when I hit it with air tomorrow night stuff moves a little easier. Tomorrow night I'll blow them out with the air compressor and do like you mentioned and get all the air intake and ports blown out. After that when I get everything back on, I'll do as Phazedout mentioned and mess with the pilot screw, and see where I get to. Thanks for your help so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the carbs off and currently have them soaking in carb fluid. They looked pretty good, but I figured it won't hurt to get anything soaked up so when I hit it with air tomorrow night stuff moves a little easier. Tomorrow night I'll blow them out with the air compressor and do like you mentioned and get all the air intake and ports blown out. After that when I get everything back on, I'll do as Phazedout mentioned and mess with the pilot screw, and see where I get to. Thanks for your help so far.[/b]
Put the carbs back on last night after I cleaned and blew them out. Then I modified the pilot screw how Phazedout mentioned. I also had to mess with the idle a little, but after some tinkering the sled ran great. I only went around the yard a couple of times, but it was responsive on the bottom end so that was cool. Find out for sure how it reacts after a day of riding. None the less, I appreciate your help. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts