Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a freind of mine just bought an 89 el tigre ext. the carbs had been off for at least a year when he bought it. we cleaned everything up real good, put it back together, and got it running. but we are still having some problems, so maybe some of you cat guys can help us out.

first thing that seems odd to me is that while trying to start it or while its running, the gas tank will build allot of pressure inside. is there no overflow or something similar on this tank, or is that normal? it also seems that because of this pressure the float valve in the carbs can't shut off right and wants to flood the thing out all time.

Thanks for your help... :)

·
0 Posts
This sled should have a vent on the gas tank. It is located on the top of the tank in the right front. You should have no pressure in the tank if this vent is clear.
I think you should make sure the carbs are set correct (Vent tubes clear, air screw set , float level right,) and the choke is operating properly. This is where the flooding might be coming from.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
CDS, let me know if your friend needs an original pipe for some reason. I had that same sled for about 10 yrs...very, very reliable sled (if set up right). Never had any problems w/mine....just traded it last year w/about 4000 miles on it. I still have a service manual for it, I can fax you some info if you need.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts