Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 89 Exciter and it is a pain in the rear to start. But once we get it started no problems it runs great. Is there anything I can do to make starting it less frustrating? I have tried starting fluid but I can not get a straight shot at the carb. HELP PLEASE
Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Clean the carbs and while you have them or it off try to look inthe intake with a little mirror to see if the intake side of the piston is scuffed.If it is it will amke it start hard and lose bottom end power to lack of base compression.One easy thing I would do is buy a Pimer kit and install it on the mahcine.If it is cold then prime it 2 times if its wamr out them prime it only once.Machines with primer and a choke system i find start the best.

BJ White

·
Registered
167 Posts
i would check to see that you enrichment valve is working i have an 87 xlv 540 and the enrichment valve is frozen in the closed position so i drilled a hole in the boot between the carb and air box and i just squirt a little premixed gas in the carb and then put a bolt in the hole this works great for me and is a lot cheaper than a new carb  :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've had the same problem with my XLT. I cleaned the carbs real good(you should have seen the crud that was in there). It starts a lot better now. I know how you feel. Sometimes you want to just pour gas all over the thing and have a bon fire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 89 Exciter. It took about 15 pulls to start. I checked
the compression, it was good. Cleaned the carbs, pilots looked good, still the same. A friend suggested that I put new pilot jets even though they looked good. I changed them and it starts on the second pull cold. Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
just a thought, make sure your getting full choke when you start. Maybe a little ajustment there from stretched cables. If you don't have full choke you can pull on them all day. WHew that makes me tired just thinking about it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
1st check your compression , 2nd clean the carbs and change your fuel filter , and since your at it clean out your fuel pump . make sure the gap on your plugs is right . Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another thought noone has mentioned, check your seals I know that with some sleds in the past the crank seals went out on me and this created a hard starting situation. the first sign i look at is my plugs are they the penut butter color we all like or are they whitish? white means a lean mix. run the sled at slow speeds and then check then open it up and see how they look. you can also use starting fluid and spray on the crank behind the clutch if the motor runs up you have a leak.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Buddy of mine just picked up an '87 Exciter.  It runs great but sometimes we would spend more than 10 minutes to get it started.  We tried every combination of throttle position and choke with no success.  The only way we ever got it running was by pumping the throttle or holding it wide open while pulling.  I had not noticed at first that once it was warmed up that the idle was low.  After adjusting the idle it fires up with just a couple pulls.  Just something to consider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks eveyone for the Advice, but what seems to be Happening is the plugs are getting fluded and I take them out clean them off and still nothing. I have the choke up, I am not holding the Throttle down. I am spraying starter Fluid into the air Intake. HELP I am about to blow the thing up!

Stinger what type of Jets did you Install?

Somebody suggested adding a primer what does everyone think?

Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
374 Posts
If the engine is flooding I don't think a primer would do you any good.  I wouldn't be using the choke either.

I must withdraw my previous post, the '87 exciter is still a pain to start.  We are talking as much as 200 pulls when it is cold.  I just pulled the carbs and there was a small amount of a crystal like substance at the bottom of the bowls but other than that they were clean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
WOW this is great so many replys for a 89 exiter

you've got fuel going in if the plugs are wet, but its not being controlled as per how mutch is flowing, you need at minimum to clean/replace inlet needles & seats then make sure pilots are clean & chokes are ADJ. to full travel.
If youve got good compresion & as MRSECTOR9 said not bad wear on the pistons this should do it

PS. be sure float levels are right working with the inlet needles

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't remember the size off hand, but they were stock jets.
My exciter was doing the same thing. Plugs were wet and still wouldn't start. I had to give it a squirt of gas to start. Doesn't sound right but it worked at the time.
Still starts on the second pull.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts