Snowmobile World banner

89 Phaser, Weak Spark One Side, Chasing Ghosts!

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  powderlites 
#1 ·
I have an 89 phaser with weak spark on one side, strong (fat, blue) on the other. the weak spark is not hot enough to ignite the mixture, so im always running on one cylinder and it does run well ie consistant good spark. i have replaced plugs, boots, wires, secondary (external) coil, CDI. i have tested wiring from the kill switch. I have tested the stator assembly and its within spec per the manual's resistance values. i've pulled and inspected the stator, looks OK ie nothing broken. Im considering replacing the stator assembly but don't know how this can result in a weak spark on one side....isnt it only sending one pulse to the CDI? These type of ignition systems pulse throught the secondary coil at the same time, ie wasting a spark every other time i thought...? Any info would be appreciated, hate to slap a new stator in if it isnt the issue.

#2 ·
I have an 89 phaser with weak spark on one side, strong (fat, blue) on the other. the weak spark is not hot enough to ignite the mixture, so im always running on one cylinder and it does run well ie consistant good spark. i have replaced plugs, boots, wires, secondary (external) coil, CDI. i have tested wiring from the kill switch. I have tested the stator assembly and its within spec per the manual's resistance values. i've pulled and inspected the stator, looks OK ie nothing broken. Im considering replacing the stator assembly but don't know how this can result in a weak spark on one side....isnt it only sending one pulse to the CDI? These type of ignition systems pulse throught the secondary coil at the same time, ie wasting a spark every other time i thought...? Any info would be appreciated, hate to slap a new stator in if it isnt the issue.[/b]
It almost sounds like you have a bad coil, the one you replaced. There are ways to check that coil out, with an electrial meter. Your right about one signial to the coil, it then splits it up.

#4 ·
Last year I bought 2 new plugs for my Yamaha. After about 3 rides, 1 of the new plugs just died. This year, I bought 2 new plugs again, 1 plug never did work. What I'm saying is, it MAY be possible that 1 of your new plugs are bad. Did you try switching plugs to see if it's that plug or if it's a weak spark going to that particular side? Just a thought.

#7 ·
I have an 89 phaser with weak spark on one side, strong (fat, blue) on the other. the weak spark is not hot enough to ignite the mixture, so im always running on one cylinder and it does run well ie consistant good spark. i have replaced plugs, boots, wires, secondary (external) coil, CDI. i have tested wiring from the kill switch. I have tested the stator assembly and its within spec per the manual's resistance values. i've pulled and inspected the stator, looks OK ie nothing broken. Im considering replacing the stator assembly but don't know how this can result in a weak spark on one side....isnt it only sending one pulse to the CDI? These type of ignition systems pulse throught the secondary coil at the same time, ie wasting a spark every other time i thought...? Any info would be appreciated, hate to slap a new stator in if it isnt the issue.[/b]
Phazer coil is made to have weaker spark on one side!
spark goes between leads not ground!
PTO has less spark if I remember right
PowderLites

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.