Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father has an 89 Phazer and it keeps dying. We have determined it is some silly electrical problem that we can't put our finger on. I wanted to see if anyone on this site who has one of these machines has ran into the same problem, and what they did to resolve it. It was taken to the Yamaha dealership several times and they could not figure it out. At first we thought it was the kill switch so we disconnected it and it still didnt work. The machine will never completely die, it just wont rev up. It can be ridden for 2 hours, have absolutely no issue and all of the sudden just cough and not rev. My father seems to think it has something to do with the carbeuretor safety switch (this safety switch from what he has explained to me prevents the machine from opening up if the carbeuretor ices over). We found the wires to this switch and bypassed them and it still doesn't seem to work. I'm sure its just a small electric problem but like I said before, its a pain in the a$$ and I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

thanks,

dave

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
So if he stops for a while and then starts again how,s it run then? If it runs good it sounds like water in the gas to me.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if he stops for a while and then starts again how,s it run then? If it runs good it sounds like water in the gas to me.[/b]
good suggestion but im 99.999 percent sure its an electric problem, lots of fresh good gas and like i said yamaha looked at it too. when it coughs and dies, we reconnect the wires for the carbeuretor safety switch and then it runs, when it dies again we disconnect and it runs, very very strange.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had a 87 srv and it would do something like that it turns out it was the thotlle safety switch on mine ,there are also like o rings on the thotle lever pin the can cause that and they are cheap to fix.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Exaxctly how did you by pass the TORS (throttle over ride system)?
perhaps its the problem..and was`nt by passed correctly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i got almost the exact same problem with my 91 phazer except it wont rev out at all it it goes maybe 40 -45 mph ive checked every thing clutch rings etc and have decided its the electrical to i diconnected the throttle switch and the carb electrical system with no result so just wanted to say your not alone and i hope you fix your problem and if you do post it on here so that i can possibly fix mine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts