Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a problem with bogging 90% gone now i have a high speed cut out (feels like plug drops out) i get about 82 mph then this happens, i know this sled has more speed????? any ideas.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What did you do to clear it?.....

Did it clear itself? Did you at least replace the plugs?

Does it pass a compression test?

Good luck.

Joe.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
i had a problem with bogging 90% gone now i have a high speed cut out (feels like plug drops out) i get about 82 mph then this happens, i know this sled has more speed????? any ideas.[/b]
Do you mean you are holding the throttle steady and it cuts out? Or are you getting up to speed and then working the throttle some and that's when it cuts out? If it's the second one, you might have the wrong belt on there or some other clutching problem. We once accidentally put a slightly too-short aftermarket belt on the SKS and it seemed fine at first but when you let off the throttle at high speed then applied throttle again, the engine acted like it totally would cut out for a second. It even made a little sputtering sound from the exhaust, so I was very afraid it was an engine problem. But really, because the short belt messed up the gear ratio, it had trouble shifting properly at high speed, kinda like if you were driving a stick and shifted second to fifth gear. Most of the time it actually worked very well but at higher speeds is when it really caused problems. I was afraid it was an engine problem but changing belts cleared it right up.

It really could be anything at this point but making sure you are using the right belt (OEM preferably) is step one.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
i had a problem with bogging 90% gone now i have a high speed cut out (feels like plug drops out) i get about 82 mph then this happens, i know this sled has more speed????? any ideas.[/b]
But also, depending on the engine size and chaincase gearing, you might not get much more top speed than this. Still it should never be dropping out like you describe so something must be funky. A too-short belt would also explain your low top-speed, because either one or both of the clutches is no longer able to fully shift-out thus lowering your maximum speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But also, depending on the engine size and chaincase gearing, you might not get much more top speed than this. Still it should never be dropping out like you describe so something must be funky. A too-short belt would also explain your low top-speed, because either one or both of the clutches is no longer able to fully shift-out thus lowering your maximum speed.[/b]
the sled had a toggle switch that was wired to the electical system to shut off power but sled would still run, started flickering so i removed switch and problem seemd to get better?(probly good thoughts in my head). the high speed issue is when im holding to the bar?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Check your spark plug boot terminals for carbon tracking inside. Unscrew the boots from the wires and shake them next to your ear, listen for something loose inside, usually the resistor has arced out. Replace the spark plugs with BR9EIX gapped at .018"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check your spark plug boot terminals for carbon tracking inside. Unscrew the boots from the wires and shake them next to your ear, listen for something loose inside, usually the resistor has arced out. Replace the spark plugs with BR9EIX gapped at .018"[/b]
what is the differance from br9eix to br9es and .018 book said .045, just wondering thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
The difference is metirc and standard.................

0.018" is in inches.

And 0.45mm is in millimeters.

I am not familliar with the BR9EIX though?
Changes the plugs...............

Then go from there.

Joe.

·
Registered
593 Posts
BR9EIX are the iridium plugs. They work awsome. I love them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks i'll try'em,let u know[/b]
i was checking electrical connections and decided to pull the fly wheel, glad i did found stator screws loose and was completly retarded,whent by shop manual and readjusted to spec. put a set of the ngk br9eix plugs and dont this thing rip!!!!!! thanks for all your help

·
Registered
593 Posts
good to hear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts