Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I have a 97 900 triple with a no spark issue. i have done the checks on the Throttle sensor and it's not those. Is there a way to check the stator or/ or coil ? Is there any other places I should be looking? All Ideas are welcome amd appreciated.

Has anyone one had this issue and what was the outcome?

thanks

·
10,054 Posts
there is a 4 prong connector that comes out of the stator and runs up around where your recoil housing is,,,, pull it apart, blow it out good and then try it one time before you go digging any further,,, happened to my old zrt all the time,,,
as for the stator, you simply need specs and I dont have those anymore,,, got rid of the manual. I can tell you that stators are known to go out of them though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
using an ohm meter

ignition coil primary
dissconect the two spade terminals from external coil body
connect one meter lead to negative spade terminal and connect one lead to the positive spade terminal

ignition coil primary resistance must be between 0.28and 0.39 ohm`s

... rest to follow tonight[/b]
Thanks Snow frog I'll try that as soon as I get home this evening and then waiti to hear the rest!

Bill Corrigal

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
There is a company who rebuilds them for 1/2 price (actually improves vibration hardening too). I'll check my notes and get back.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
testing spark plug caps
remove the spark plug caps from the high tension leads
connect the 2 meter leads to either end of the cap and must read 4,000-6,000 ohm`s

ignition coil secondary single and double lead coils

remove spark plug caps from high tension leads
connect the red lead to the high tension lead and the black meter lead
to either of the primary spade terminals

ignition coil single and double lead should be6320-9480 ohm`s

charge coil #1

disconnect the triple wire plug from the cdi unit to the magneto
conect the red meter lead to the green wire in the triple wire plug
conect the black meter lead to the white wire in the triple wire plug
charge coil 1 should be 383-575 ohm`s

charge coil #2
disconect the triple wire plug from the cdi unit to the magneto
conect the red meter lead to the green wire in the triple plug then conect the black meter lead to black wire in the triple plug
charge coil 2 resistance must be 20.7and 30.8ohm`s

timing sensor disconect the 2 timing sensor leads from the cdi
connect the meter leads to the timing sensor leads
timing sensor resistance must be between 20.7 and30.8

lighting coil

more to come

·
10,054 Posts
ok, you have all your specs,,, but at least give that plug a try first,,, if it doesnt work, your out about 30 seconds,,, if it works, your ready to ride.

Mark, have you ever had issues like what I was explaining??? First time it happened to me, we were just outside of pine stump junction. Rode back to Newberry and then brought the trailer out to Pine stump to get it,,,, didnt even mess with it as we were only there one more day and the one fellow was done riding,,,, so we got it home, I unhooked it, (4 prong plug), blew it out, put it back on and the thing started right up,,, It happened a few other times and once we knew, thats how we handled it,,,,

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Mark, have you ever had issues like what I was explaining??? First time it happened to me, we were just outside of pine stump junction. Rode back to Newberry and then brought the trailer out to Pine stump to get it,,,, didnt even mess with it as we were only there one more day and the one fellow was done riding,,,, so we got it home, I unhooked it, (4 prong plug), blew it out, put it back on and the thing started right up,,, It happened a few other times and once we knew, thats how we handled it,,,,[/b]

yes I have . its like the 3rd or 4th thing I check on a cat . it is right under the coolant res and gets funky when wet/dirty . one thing that helps though is to extend the overflow down to the footwell in that situation

·
10,054 Posts
I never thought of that,,, I had always thought it just got caught up in the snow dust over time,,, that little bit of moisture really can cause a problem,,,, easy problem, but not something one would check first thing sitting alongside the trail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts