Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm a reborn sledhead, my last sled was a 1980 ? 3500 Citation. It only took 20 yrs to forget that @&%# and move on to the Exciter, which I've just purchased. From everything that I've read, it seems like a good sled. The previous owner didn't do any maintenance, so I'm in the process of bringing the sled upto par. I'm having a hard time locating a shop manual for a 91, the manual I;m looking at purchasing is the Clymer Yamaha SNOWMOBILE SHOP MANUAL 1984-1989. Is this a good manual to use? Are the any changes to the any major items that would make the manual useless. My second question is " what the hell is up with the liquide cooled carbs". There is a cooling ( or heating ) line that runs from the cooling system into the carbs, then into the engine block. What is this for and when should I use it ?

I'm sure this is only the first few questions.

Any info would be helpful. I've read through several postings, and you guys seem to know what your talking about.

BelowDaRadar

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The starter would have to be pulled off every third or forth pull. The starter was also plastic and kept breaking. It got so that I would just rap the rope around and pull.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hmm, did you buy a new one? Mine works good. But it did have a few problems, now theyre fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine was 1980 I think ( Black ). To remove the starter the engine had to be tilted forward to remove the bottom two bolts. The starter case was also the cooling shroud. Very poor design. I had a lot of fun on that sled. Sunk it once, pulled it out, dried the plug, pulled the starter twice, removed the starter, wrapped the cord, pulled and off we went.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Guys, I'm a reborn sledhead, my last sled was a 1980 ? 3500 Citation. It only took 20 yrs to forget that @&%# and move on to the Exciter, which I've just purchased. From everything that I've read, it seems like a good sled. The previous owner didn't do any maintenance, so I'm in the process of bringing the sled upto par. I'm having a hard time locating a shop manual for a 91, the manual I;m looking at purchasing is the Clymer Yamaha SNOWMOBILE SHOP MANUAL 1984-1989. Is this a good manual to use? Are the any changes to the any major items that would make the manual useless. My second question is " what the hell is up with the liquide cooled carbs". There is a cooling ( or heating ) line that runs from the cooling system into the carbs, then into the engine block. What is this for and when should I use it ?

I'm sure this is only the first few questions.

Any info would be helpful. I've read through several postings, and you guys seem to know what your talking about.

BelowDaRadar[/b]
I have a 1993 exciter sx the cooling lines heat the carbs to keep them from icing up and warm i have removed mine and have not had any problems with the carbs just let the machine warm up before you ride you will be fine without them.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I have a 1993 exciter sx the cooling lines heat the carbs to keep them from icing up and warm i have removed mine and have not had any problems with the carbs just let the machine warm up before you ride you will be fine without them.[/b]
until you play in deep snow and the throttle sticks

there is a reason yamaha put them on there,Yamahas are notorious from frozen throttles

My Yamaha was bad for that

·
Registered
54 Posts
until you play in deep snow and the throttle sticks

there is a reason yamaha put them on there,Yamahas are notorious from frozen throttles

My Yamaha was bad for that[/b]
You don"t get deep snow in Chelmsford Im in Azilda you could always put a valve in to turn it on and off when you need it....

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
You don"t get deep snow in Chelmsford Im in Azilda you could always put a valve in to turn it on and off when you need it....[/b]
I ride out of Azilda :p

have too as the deep snow is in Chemmy

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts